none
In-Place Upgrade from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2016 keeping data and apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

Different takes on this question have been asked in the forum already, but wanted to raise a specific brain-picker for those who have way more experience than I do with server upgrades! I am an application admin (who does not work within the IT dept though) in a VERY heavily validated environment and I have a bunch of Server 2012 R2 VMs (I believe IT use VMWare ESX for the hypervisor solution???) that I need to upgrade to Server 2016.

I have a huge preference for upgrading in-place because to reinstall all the applications from scratch after upgrading the OS would be a nightmare and need full revalidation. I know that in-place upgrades are not hugely recommended.

We have an IT policy that says that the OS is ONLY installed on the C drive, and applications/application data can only reside on the separate D drive (I am not sure if that is attached physical disk, or mounted partition on a filer).

Does this separation of OS drive and data/app drive help achieve a successful upgrade? Can IT unmount the D drive, upgrade the OS (on C drive), remount D and everything will be fine? 

Or am I just an uneducated moron when it comes to server upgrades! ;o)

Your expert advice would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thank you!

Thursday, October 15, 2020 4:43 PM