none
Updating/Installing new device drivers via PNPUTIL RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm writing a procedure to update .inf based driver packages to production machines.

Goal is to update drivers for existing hardware and stage drivers for new hardware.

Therefore I'd like to copy all necessary drivers to the machine via software distribution and execute a program that will inject these drivers to the Vista driver store.

• is it safe to let the script recurse through all the drivers dirs and then call "pnputil -i -a currpath\*.inf" for every .inf?
    • will pnputil sort out if this is a driver for the correct platform?
    • any special considerations?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As this is a forum for Windows Vista client hardware issues, we may not the best support resource for server side script. However, I’d love to share some experience about Pnputil:

1.    Generally, I think it should be a workaround to share driver package in a public shared folder and write scripts to let client computers automatically install it from target folder. I’m not very clear about your concern on security, let me know that if possible.

2.    Pnputil –a has feature to test the integration of print driver package.

3.    Pnputil –a needs administrator privilege, thus you should confirm if your client user has enough authentication for adding driver packages. For standard user to add printer, modifying local policy on Windows Vista-based clients are required.

For more information on this topic, refer to:

Printer Installation in Windows Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/pkginstall.mspx

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As this is a forum for Windows Vista client hardware issues, we may not the best support resource for server side script. However, I’d love to share some experience about Pnputil:

1.    Generally, I think it should be a workaround to share driver package in a public shared folder and write scripts to let client computers automatically install it from target folder. I’m not very clear about your concern on security, let me know that if possible.

2.    Pnputil –a has feature to test the integration of print driver package.

3.    Pnputil –a needs administrator privilege, thus you should confirm if your client user has enough authentication for adding driver packages. For standard user to add printer, modifying local policy on Windows Vista-based clients are required.

For more information on this topic, refer to:

Printer Installation in Windows Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/pkginstall.mspx

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:47 AM
  • Hi Lionel,

Thanks for sharing your experciences.

Our procedure needs to cover drivers for all devices and not only printerdrivers.

The process for updating the drivers will be executed in context of the software distribution system (elevated).

We thought about providing the drivers via a share folder. But aparently, the shared folder will only be considered in case a driver is not present in the driver store, so this scenario would not be usable for updating dirvers in the dirverstore. The uses would also need the privelege to stage the drivers.

PNPUTIL seems the way to go. My main concern is now if I can just add all drivers to one package, recurse all driver dirs, call pnputil on every INF  and rely on PNPUTIL to only insert the good drivers.

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

About the combination of driver package

Combining driver packages may need development support, based on my experience. You could use the following forum for further support on this topic:

General Windows Vista Development Issues

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=120&SiteID=1

Admit Standard User to Install Printer Drivers 

To allow standard user to install INF-based drivers, you may modify the following policy in Group Policy Object Editor:

Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates – System – Driver Installation – Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these device setup classes

Select Enable, click Show…, then click Add…, enter the class ID of the device whose driver you need standard user to stage, Click OK, OK, then close the editor.

For example, {4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} is the class ID for common printers.

This behavior will admit standard user to add driver packages without administrator privilege, including non-in-box drivers.

About Logon Script

For other methods to deploy drivers into Windows Vista clients, please understand we are not the best support resource. You may try to find answer or post your question in the following newsgroups:

·         Public newsgroups for peer experiences and recommendations:

microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript

·         For group policy:

microsoft.public.windows.group_policy
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.group_policy

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:09 AM