Vista product key help RRS feed

• Question

• We have an old Dell Dimension desktop that came with XP.  It got a nasty virus and we had to rebuild everything.  Had the XP disks, but couldn't find the product key. Went out and got Windows 7 and installed, but the old Dell was not compatible. Found a copy of Vista in the ttic nd installed that.  Worked for several months but now asks for a product key ... which of course I can't find now.  I went and bought a copy of XP and have a key for that now.

So I have copies of XP and 7 with keys and a copy of Vista without a key ... likely still in the attic, but I'm tired of looking.

How can I get a product key for Vista OR how can I uninstall Vista and install the replacement copy of XP I bought online?  Would prefer to keep the Vista.  Tried to find a way to buy a license on the MS website and can't see a way to do it.

Any ideas?

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:09 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, Windows Vista licenses (product keys) are no longer available since the introduction of Windows 7.  If your computer will run Windows Vista, it should easily run Windows 7.  Make sure to visit Windows Update for the latest Windows 7 compatible hardware drivers.  Just click on "Check for updates".
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:32 AM