running microsoft viewer with silent install (\quiet) in Sharepoint 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a link on a Sharepoint 3.0 webpage to a Microsoft Viewer (Word, Excel and Power Point) with the \quiet switch.  I can create a link to go directly to the app but if I try to attach the switch to the link, it fails.  I want to use the silent install so end user do not have to do anything with the install wizard.  Has anyone had any success in doing this or have any ideas on how I can do this?

Thanks.

Steven J

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:57 AM Certainly not a programming question (/quiet switch is a parameter) Is it even a SP question ? (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• So you're trying to create a "Software Library" almost, where users can install their own software by clicking a link on a page?

Just trying to make sure I'm getting it.

If that's the case, you may have to use SharePoint designer to modify the actual link, but try something like,

<a href="\\DangerServer\Downloads\MyVirusArchive.exe" type="application/octet-stream">Don't download this file!</a>

Where in the file reference is the switch.

Brandon James SharePoint Developer/Administrator
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:45 PM