Is Visual Studio 2008 with the Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK compatible with Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a product I must maintain that runs on Windows Mobile 6.  I upgraded one of our Tablets to Windows 10 (released enterprise version) and now am unable to build even the default wizard generated smart device project (C++).  At first I got a precompile file error (I don't have the error number).  So I reinstalled VS 2008 SP1.  Now I get an internal compiler error in cl.exe (no error number).  Is VS 2008 w/Windows Mobile 6 compatible with Windows 10?

AliciaV

Friday, August 7, 2015 9:06 PM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure it will work, since folks on the beta have done this.   I just installed VS2010 (for similar reasons).  There were a few warning/error messages during the install, but nothing that stopped it.  I immediately ran the service packs for VS before I launched it for the first time.

Suggestions for "next time" (if you ever have to do this again):

1) Go to Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features On Or Off, then install .Net 3.5 before you do the VS2008 install

2) If you can, get the "VS2008 with SP1" DVD (that way you won't have to find, download, and install the service pack)

Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:14 AM
  • I tried to manually install .Net 3.5 from both the web installer and by downloading .Net 3.5 SP1.  In both cases clicking on the .exe and choosing run as administrator resulted in nothing happening.  .Net 3.5 does not show up in the list of installed programs.  In the Turn Features On or Off the check box next to .Net 3.5 has a dark rectangle which implies .Net 3.5 should be installed.  Suggestions?

AliciaV

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:13 PM
  • OK... first things first.... folks who are having trouble with installing .Net 3.5 via the "Turn Features On of Off" report that they have found success by first uninstalling .Net 4.6, and then installing .Net 3.5.  Obviously, you can reinstall 4.6 after you get it working.

I don't recall if they did reboots between uninstall/install cycles... so your mileage may vary

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Turning off .Net 4.6 and manually installing .Net 3.5 did run the installer without error.  Should .Net 3.5 show up in my list of application that I can uninstall?  It doesn't.

I'm still unable to compile a Windows Mobile 6.0 app with VS 2008.  I tried reinstalling VS 2008 SP1 that did not help. I'm going to uninstall VS 2008 completely and reinstall it as a next step.

I'm not able to get Windows Mobile Device Center to connect either.  It runs but just does not connect.

AliciaV

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:39 PM
  • OK, I'm glad you got at least that part done.  No, it doesn't show up in "Programs and Features".

Next, I'd try to install the "Windows Mobile 6.0 Refresh" http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6135

I'm kinda curious what you see if you did a right-click on the MSI file, Compatibility, and then clicked on the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter button

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:14 AM
  • OK, I'm glad you got at least that part done.  No, it doesn't show up in "Programs and Features".

Next, I'd try to install the "Windows Mobile 6.0 Refresh" http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6135

I'm kinda curious what you see if you did a right-click on the MSI file, Compatibility, and then clicked on the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter button

I'd also recommend you do the same thing with the Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:28 AM
  • I did a fresh install on VS 2008 SP1 with Windows Mobile 6 on a Windows 10 System.  I was able to compile the wizard generated smart app program.  What I'm not able to do is deploy the program to the mobile.  Windows Mobile Device Center always shows not connected.  I frequently see a USB Device not Recognized message when plugging in the mobile device.  It appears to me that while VS 2008 with Windows Mobile 6 is compatible with Windows 10 the problem with connecting to a Windows Mobile device makes it unusable.

I've tried connecting to a Windows Mobile device on 4 installations of Windows 10 only one of them was able to successfully connect to a Windows Mobile device via USB.

AliciaV

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Wow, strange...

Is there anything unusual about the 1 PC that does connect to the mobile device?   Is it an older PC... perhaps with older USB 2.0... and the new PCs have USB 3.0?

Friday, August 21, 2015 2:29 PM
  • The one PC that worked happens to be the newest of the bunch I tested.  It is a Dell Venue 7140.  All the PC's I tested worked fine with the mobile device when running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

AliciaV

Friday, August 21, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hey Alicia,

Did you ever get yours to work? Connecting Mobile Device Center to Windows 10 PC? If not, let me know and I will share a way that helped me do it on my personal laptop.

Thanks,

Val

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:40 PM