none
WEIGHT AGE OF EACH PLANNED ACTIVITY RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I want to find out the weightage of each planned activity (prior to resource allocation) is there any way in MS Project  to find weightage of each activity or please guide me any suitable way.

Request for kind response.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:07 AM

All replies

• Hello

You can use Priority custom field in MSP to set the weightage of each task. by the-way what you exactly want to do, Please tell me in detail.

Regards, Pankaj Waghmare - MCTS | Consultant

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Thank you for kind response Mr. Pankaj !

Actually i am working in different scenario i do not have the cost of wbs and activities i have only the plan and now i want to track my plan by duration. for example.

I have project duration 90 days

and i have activity "A" with 7 days and activity "B" 5 days and activity "C" 10 day with start to start link now i want to know the weightage of each said activities sothat i can track it.

hope its clear. 

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:10 AM
  • Experience4share --

I have absolutely NO IDEA what you mean by the term weightage.  Perhaps you could explain that term and then we would be able to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Dear Mr. Dale,

If i assume my all said activities (A,B,C) have been completed then certainly there will be the actual completion %age But i just want to know this completion %age of these activities before to track my project. please guide me can i find this %age of activities at before tracking.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Dear Experience, I'm afraid your reply to Dale doesn't help me very much. Perhaps you could tell me what your manual calculation would be in this case:

Task A - Scheduled 11Feb-20Feb - now 20% complete

Task B - Scheduled 11Feb-15Feb - now 60% complete

Task C - Scheduled 11Feb-22Feb - Not yet started

You said your tasks were all Start to Start scheduled, you do not have any cost info and you are particularly interested in the schedule.

Graham

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Thank You for your kind response Mr GMch.

Sir i would like to write in brief about the matter which i am trying to resolve.

My projects have different nature and their designing are being done at same time of execution therefore i do not have their exact cost and quantities but i have the plan of one project giving the all activities of project with their duration now i am on tracking stage and i am trying to find out the each activity planned %age (before to track) sothat i can fine the progress upto defined cutoff date.

For example (as i mentioned above )

I have project of 90 days

now to find out the %age of Activity A i just assume that my activity 100% complete and for this i just put the 100% completion in MS project and get the overall progress of project e.g 4%

Similarly i go to the activity B and assume the 100% by adding 100% completion in Ms Project and get the overall progress 10% and by doing this i find the activity weight age for B will be = 10- 4 = 06 %

so i do this for all rest of  activities of project and when i find out this weight age of all activities then i track my project by putting the actual completion days.

but it is lengthy process i want to know any way by doing that i find the weight age of each activity.

Hope its clear now and if its clear please guide me if there is any way to solve this issue.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:51 AM
  • Ah, now I get a better picture of what you're aiming for. I'm not sure why, but there are a couple of features that can help you. You will need to experiment to find which are best suited for your requirement.

1. Display Project Summary Task. In Project 2010 this is done in the File->Options->Advanced dialog panel.
    2. Display column Actual Duration. This shows the number of days per task resulting from the % completion for that task. Look at the total on the project summary task. This represents the proportion of the overall project duration for which there is actual duration at the detailed project level.
    3. Create a custom field to total up Detailed task actual durations - Create custom task duration field with the formula    [Actual Duration]   and the rollup selection   Sum    .       On the Project Summary Task row you will see the numeric sum of the actual durations for the detailed tasks in the project. You can do the same thing with another custom task duration field to sum up the planned duration by using the formula   [Duration]   .

Graham

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:09 PM