Playing DVDs- not working RRS feed

• Question

• <p>I do not know if I am the right forum topic.</p><p>Whole story- My XP crashed. &nbsp;It was fixed and Windows XP loaded, however now my DVD players cannot play DVDs. &nbsp;Ther are not recognized. &nbsp;Prior to crach for 10 years it would play almost any DVD. &nbsp;Now nothing will play.</p><p>I just received a new laptop with Windows 8 and am having the same problem with that system.</p><p></p><p>I am not tech savy so have not got a clue. &nbsp;I loaded Media Player updates from Microsoft and Mr. fix it for Media player and DVDs.</p><p>Problem not fixed.</p><p>Guidance needed.</p>
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:33 AM

Answers

• Are drivers installed for DVD/CD Rom?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:49 AM
  • You will need to purchase DVD decoding software to play DVDs in Windows 8, such as PowerDVD 13.  Or you can download the free VLC media player.

For Windows XP, download and run the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:45 PM
  • 1. I am not tech savy so have not got a clue

If you feel like not to be professional, then the best forum is here

answers.microsoft.com

2. For sure look into Device Manager and make sure that all devices are installed correctly

3. Try to get original drivers. In correct installation procedure there should be proper order of drivers installation after vanilla plain installation. First is chipset driver, followed by video, network adapter,...etc

4. Make sure that you have latest BIOS and firmare(s) installed.

5. Remember the end of life of Windows XP (though the security updates are promissed to be available until the end of 2014)

6. Do not use optional drivers from MS update.

7. What does this mean "play almost any DVD"? Do you mean playing music really? If yes, then find proper codec.

8. It is a good habit to specify your hardware.

Rgds

Milos

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:03 PM

All replies

• Are drivers installed for DVD/CD Rom?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:49 AM
  • You will need to purchase DVD decoding software to play DVDs in Windows 8, such as PowerDVD 13.  Or you can download the free VLC media player.

For Windows XP, download and run the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:45 PM
  • 1. I am not tech savy so have not got a clue

If you feel like not to be professional, then the best forum is here

answers.microsoft.com

2. For sure look into Device Manager and make sure that all devices are installed correctly

3. Try to get original drivers. In correct installation procedure there should be proper order of drivers installation after vanilla plain installation. First is chipset driver, followed by video, network adapter,...etc

4. Make sure that you have latest BIOS and firmare(s) installed.

5. Remember the end of life of Windows XP (though the security updates are promissed to be available until the end of 2014)

6. Do not use optional drivers from MS update.

7. What does this mean "play almost any DVD"? Do you mean playing music really? If yes, then find proper codec.

8. It is a good habit to specify your hardware.

Rgds

Milos

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:03 PM