wssv3sp3-kb2526305-x64-fullfile-en-us.exe "The installation of this package failed." RRS feed

• Question

• I have a clean build of MOSS 2007, 12.0.0.6421. I am trying to apply service pack 3. I started with officeserver2007sp3-kb2526299-x64-fullfile-en-us.exe but it prompted me to install wssv3sp3-kb2526305-x64-fullfile-en-us.exe before I installed it. The only error message I get is  "The installation of this package failed." Might as well give me no error message. I'd be grateful for some tips on this one.

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:51 PM

All replies

• HI,

As MOSS is based over WSS so whenever you are trying to upgrade it first you need to upgrade WSS component and then MOSS.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Thanks for the response Rahul. I know I need to install the WSS service pack first. My problem is the WSS service pack 3 is failing with the error message "The installation of this package failed." I even tried running is with /log:log.txt but it gave me no information on why it failing. I'm completely in the dark on this. I've tried downloading it again to see if I got a corrupt copy of the file but that hasn't helped. I am going to take the extra step of deleting it and maybe even downloading it to a new folder to see of that helps.

Mike

Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Hi mbuckingham,

When you install an update, the package extracts the files to the %SystemDrive%\Temp folder. For example, for the 2007 Microsoft Office suite service pack, the extracted files use about 300 MB of disk space. Additionally, Windows Installer caches two copies of the extracted files on the Windows system drive during the installation. Therefore, if you download the package to the Windows system drive, the Windows system drive requires more free space to run the package.

you can refer to the following KB link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943589

Thanks,

Jack

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Do you get any error message in event viewer?

Also make sure that you have enough disk space in your machine.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:51 AM
  • All the drives on the server have over 4 GB of free space and I didn't see anything in the event logs. I worked around the problem by installing the cumulative update preceding the SP. Thanks for all the responses.

Mike

Friday, March 30, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Start->ControlPanel->Programs and Features-> Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server->Edit -> Repair

I could be wrong with the address, correct me please, I have the Russian version windows.

• Edited by Iromaten Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:46 AM