none
Active Directory Username Changes RRS feed

• Question

• Our organization will soon need to change some AD usernames because they will be duplicates in a future AD merge with a larger company that acquired our org. My assumption is our 2013 MS Project server will simply update any affected user's AD username through the daily AD sync that occurs, and the time sheets and assignments will not be adversely impacted because the resource names and AD groups will remain as they were. Is this a valid assumption?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:52 PM

All replies

• I assume when you say AD username, you mean the login name.  Technically, Project Server should be fine. The new AD Account is synced.You might run into issues with SharePoint, and might need to manually run the user profile Synchronization. 

Either way, I suggest to test this with one user first, before doing a mass change.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Hi LAW,

I had a similar situation what you mentioned above, I wrote a Code using Resource.asmx service and update the resource UserNames. 

User Account is the primary key for authorization in PWA if that is authenticated over Active Directory. In case AD user is updated, I would advise you to use PSI. 

Regards,

Faizan.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:41 AM
  • Hi

you will not have any issues the the usernames are changed in AD, because the useraccount is not the key for the AD sync. It only is when the user is created. Then Project Server saves the AD Object GUID in the fields WRES_AD_GUID of the resource.

So if on next sync the user domain\username would be named domain\newusername, Project Server will correct this issue.

For SharePoint you will need to have a User Profile Sync in place additionally to also see the new name in SharePoint.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Friday, July 10, 2015 12:53 PM