Deploying Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Been trying to deploy the Windows 10 ISO through MDT but cannot use MDT to deploy an in place upgrade from Windows 7 X64 Professional > Windows 10 X64 Professional using the ISO downloaded from the Microsoft website. I've converted the .esd to a .wim however the upgrade seems to stop on step 8 and the LiteTouch information screen disappears half way through the upgrade and then no further progress and the monitoring shows step 8 of 30. This is a standard client upgrade task sequence with no additions as we wanted to keep this as simple as possible for testing.

I have used the following tools to convert the .esd

-NTLite

-DISM

My colleague has been checking the BDD log file associated with the deployment and the main error he finds is relating to the installation not being able to find the setup.exe file

Trying to test this to be deployed in a domain environment but can't even get it working in a virtual lab at the minute.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:04 PM

Answers

• Just as an update, I found some other posts relating to the 0x80070057 and I think it was a post from Ty Glander that pointed me in the right direction.

After I'd reverted from 10 to 7 after the first 2 successful upgrades, the activation and license had been reset and I did not check this. After reactivating the machine the upgrade appears to go through without fault.

Will be checking various aspects later today including ensuring the language and locale settings are the same and that all user data is migrated properly.

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:46 AM

All replies

• Don't use the ESD, use the media creation tool to get the ISO https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:19 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

I've used the media creation tool to downloaded the Pro x64 ISO using the media creation tool as that was the only source I could find for Windows 10 Pro so unfortunately that's not much help for me. Just looking to see how others have managed to perform upgrades from 7 to 10 using the same ISO as the media creation tool seems to download the install.wim as install.esd.

Thanks,
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:45 PM
  • I am not sure the Media creation tool creates media that MDT can consume.  Dan have you had success?

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Oh I see what the issue is. Yeah when I used it, I used it to upgrade a machine but not using MDT. I see what mean about Install.esd and not Install.wim. In that case sorry, it doesn't look like that will work for use with MDT. If you had a MSDN subscription or are a VL customer you could download the ISO for use with MDT.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:30 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks again for your response, I've checked MSDN but can only find the enterprise editions on there and VLSC is not an option as I'm only looking to upgrade a small up to 15 non profit user environment and they were hoping to benefit from the free upgrade rather than pay for a VLSC upgrade path.

I've managed to get hold of a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro X64 and that has the install.wim and I've just started a deployment through MDT, it's gotten past the stage it got stuck on before (step 8) and appears to be upgrading so I will update this post if it works!

Thanks again,

Friday, December 4, 2015 11:11 AM
  • What version of MDT are you running?

What method did you choose to import the OS into MDT?

Please remember to: "Vote" if my response was helpful. "Mark As Answered" if I answered your question correctly. V/R, Darrick West - Senior Systems Engineer, ConfigMgr: OSD

Friday, December 4, 2015 11:26 AM
  • Hi Darrick,

I've been using MDT 2013 Update 1 (6.3.8298.1000) and have imported using the full set of source files after extracting the ISO to a folder using Winrar. I can confirm that the upgrade completed successfully and we will be using this ISO for future deployments of upgrades to Windows 10 Pro X64.

Thanks,

Friday, December 4, 2015 11:49 AM
  • Did you check the MDT Operating Systems folder to see if all the OS source files are there? Setup.exe should be in the root of:

\\your_server\your_deploymentshare\Operating Systems\your_OS_source_name

Curious. Have you tried importing the OS without performing the ESD -> WIM conversion?

Please remember to: "Vote" if my response was helpful. "Mark As Answered" if I answered your question correctly. V/R, Darrick West - Senior Systems Engineer, ConfigMgr: OSD

Friday, December 4, 2015 12:55 PM
  • Hi Darrick,

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes all the sources files were there after the import, including the setup.exe, boot.wim and install.wim (after being converted from .esd to .wim)

2. MDT wouldn't allow an import of the ISO that was downloaded using the media creation tool so I had to extract the install.esd to an install.wim file and used DISM and Ntlite to do this on separate occasions which did import into MDT but would fail during the upgrade with no errors present in any of the logs.

The error I get when importing the ISO from the media creation tool is 'The source directory specified does not contain an install.wim'

Friday, December 4, 2015 1:51 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks again for your response, I've checked MSDN but can only find the enterprise editions on there and VLSC is not an option as I'm only looking to upgrade a small up to 15 non profit user environment and they were hoping to benefit from the free upgrade rather than pay for a VLSC upgrade path.

I've managed to get hold of a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro X64 and that has the install.wim and I've just started a deployment through MDT, it's gotten past the stage it got stuck on before (step 8) and appears to be upgrading so I will update this post if it works!

Thanks again,

Just FYI choose the multiple editions on MSDN, it has Pro

Friday, December 4, 2015 2:13 PM
  • To be clear, you attempted to import the OS into MDT using a mounted ISO, yes?

Friday, December 4, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Based on your last sentence, it sounds like MS needs to update MDT to support .ESD files.

Time for me to do some experimenting. I've held off long enough from doing deployment testing with Windows 10.

In the meantime, check out this site: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

It supposedly has an ISO with the install.wim in it.

Friday, December 4, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Hi Darrick,

I managed to get the deployment working twice on the same machine on Friday afternoon and reverted back to 7 twice without fault however I tried the deployment again for a third time on the same machine after reverting back to 7 and it is now not working! Nothing has changed in the deployment share between when it worked and now that it doesn't, I've even tried deploying on 2 other physical machines and 1 virtual machine without success.

Thanks for the link you provided as it does appear to have the WIM file but imports as the technical preview in MDT (not a big issue as can still test with this).

Going back into MDT today and going to try on several clean install Windows 7 machines and will update this forum from there.

Losing my marbles a bit with this one as it was working...

Monday, December 7, 2015 10:48 AM
  • Pulled some of the logs off of one of the target machines and a couple of the errors that are persistent no matter what machine I'm performing it on are:

These are taken from the LTIApply.log

Event 41022 sent: Setup failed to upgrade OS from  \\whytesv01\Windows10Upgrade\Operating Systems\Windows10Prox64\setup.exe, rc = -2147024809    LTIApply    07/12/2015 13:41:04    0 (0x0000)

Setup failed to upgrade OS from  \\whytesv01\Windows10Upgrade\Operating Systems\Windows10Prox64\setup.exe, rc = -2147024809    LTIApply    07/12/2015 13:41:03    0 (0x0000)

ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LTIApply, rc = -2147024809  0x80070057    LTIApply    07/12/2015 13:41:04    0 (0x0000)

This one is from the LTICopyScripts.log (kind of expected this one the amount of times i've tested this deployment.)

File C:\MININT\Scripts\LTITriggerUpgradeFailure.wsf already exists in Target    LTICopyScripts    07/12/2015 13:39:23    0 (0x0000)

No other errors present, I've checked I can access the setup.exe through the network path, checked all permissions are ok, deleted and recreated new deployment shares but cannot get past this at the minute. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Monday, December 7, 2015 1:49 PM
  • The 0x80070057 (rc = -2147024809) error code is: The parameter is incorrect

In the Install Operating System step, is there a variable assigned in the Variable: text box? It should be OSDisk.

Monday, December 7, 2015 3:38 PM
  • Hi Darrick,I only have the 'Upgrade Windows' step in there as it's just a standard client upgrade task sequence.

Starts as

-Gather Local Only

-Validate

-Copy Scripts

-Inject Drivers

-Upgrade Windows

I'm sure you can imagine the rest!

Monday, December 7, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Is there a Variable: text box in it? If so make sure it contains OSDisk

Monday, December 7, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi Darrick,

I cannot see the option to insert a variable here under the 'Upgrade OS' step in the task sequence, I can see what you mean if I add the 'Install OS' step to the task sequence however that's not available for the upgrade sequence.

Really bugging me that this worked and now isn't with seemingly no changes to the deployment share or task sequence!

Monday, December 7, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Just as an update, I found some other posts relating to the 0x80070057 and I think it was a post from Ty Glander that pointed me in the right direction.

After I'd reverted from 10 to 7 after the first 2 successful upgrades, the activation and license had been reset and I did not check this. After reactivating the machine the upgrade appears to go through without fault.

Will be checking various aspects later today including ensuring the language and locale settings are the same and that all user data is migrated properly.

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:46 AM