Task Sequence fails because of client upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• just recently my Windows 10 Upgrade Task Sequence has failed at random tasks in the sequence.  The failures occur after the "Upgrade Operating System" task, and corresponding reboot.  I have been able to identify the cause but I am not certain about how to prevent this in the future.  The cause of the failures are due to the Configuration Manager performing a client version upgrade while the task sequence is still running.  I have the site hierarchy set to upgrade all clients using the production client.  My site is currently installing the "Configuration Manager 1602 Hotfix (KB3155482)" to a preproduction test collection.  When the Windows 10 Upgrade Task Sequence runs, an attempt is made to update the client but because my test computer is not in the preproduction test collection it does not receive the new client version.  However, this attempted update by the ccmsetup service stops the ccmexec service which interrupts the running task in the task sequence (see images below).

I am wondering about what is the best way to prevent a client version update from occurring when a task sequence is already running?

Friday, July 1, 2016 4:11 PM

Answers

• There is currently a limitation in the task sequence execution in that it does not prevent the client install from happening. As you have seen, a client install will shutdown the task sequence.

We already have existing work items to address this limitation.

In the case where the task sequence installs an OS, the setup-complete phase will prevent the client install from happening until the task sequence is complete. This fix is present in the 1606 version of SCCM.

However, for the task sequence that does not install an OS (like in your case where you are doing an OS upgrade), we still need to make a similar fix.

The work-around for now is to make sure that the SCCM client version is the latest. This will prevent any new client installs from happening (except when you use the 'client push' option to 'always install').

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the current client version in your production environment? If you choose the option "Upgrade all clients in the pre-production collection automatically using pre-production client" will it work?

Best regards,

Jimmy 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 4, 2016 8:24 AM
  • Hello;

Currently the production environment is using client version 5.00.8325.1000, when we installed update 1602 we set it to upgrade all clients in the preproduction collection automatically and it works as expected.  Those computers in the collection upgraded to version 5.00.8355.1000.  Since then we have been caught by the update KB3155482 bug, and noticed the preproduction client tries to update computers, even some that were not in the preproduction collection, which is a problem when a Task Sequence is running.  The preproduction client version does not successfully install but it tries, and in the process momentarily stops the ccmexec service.

This screen shot shows the test computer just after the OS is finished upgrading to Windows 10.  The client version is 5.00.8325.1000

This screen shot shows the same computer 23 minutes later (half way through an Office install).  The client version now being installed is version 5.00.8355.1306

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 4:31 PM
  • I have some additional information on this problem.  I fixed the issue we were having with update KB3155482 by following the information listed under the "Installation Note" in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3155482. Our production client version is now 5.00.8355.1306, but we still had failures occur in the task sequence. The ccmexec service would be stopped and disabled after the Windows 10 Upgrade, and this would prevent the task sequence from continuing. After reading about others having a similar problem I put a task in the sequence that ran the ccmrepair program. This task immediately follows the built-in Restart task associated with the Upgrade task.

The ccmrepair seems to have fixed the problem with the ccmexec service, but it introduced another issue where the SCCM Client was left in Provisioning Mode at the conclusion of the task sequence.  I opened a case with Microsoft and they concluded I should run the following PowerShell command after the task sequence finished:

PowerShell Invoke-WmiMethod -Namespace root\CCM -Class  SMS_Client -Name SetClientProvisioningMode -ArgumentList $false

I could not get the SMSTSPostAction variable to reliably run this command, so I ran it as the last task in the sequence.  That seems to have solved all my issues, at least until the next upgrade comes out.

• Edited by pnnl Monday, August 1, 2016 7:18 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 7:18 PM
  • There is currently a limitation in the task sequence execution in that it does not prevent the client install from happening. As you have seen, a client install will shutdown the task sequence.

In the case where the task sequence installs an OS, the setup-complete phase will prevent the client install from happening until the task sequence is complete. This fix is present in the 1606 version of SCCM.

However, for the task sequence that does not install an OS (like in your case where you are doing an OS upgrade), we still need to make a similar fix.

The work-around for now is to make sure that the SCCM client version is the latest. This will prevent any new client installs from happening (except when you use the 'client push' option to 'always install').

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 11:36 PM

Was there ever a proper fix for this? I seem to be having a similar issue. I've got an OS TS and a Apps TS on the same collection, after the OS TS finishes it starts the Apps TS, but then while its receiving the Apps TS the client starts trying to upgrade which in turn stops the Apps TS from continuing.

Friday, May 4, 2018 2:22 PM