MS Word and Windows 10 problem wiht conversion of cursive to text RRS feed

• Question

• There is an unacceptable latency in the conversion of cursive to text in Word using a pen. I am a writer and expect that the conversion process should be able to follow what I write as fast as I write.

The latency makes this element of the program not useful, actually unacceptable for writers who write in cursive.

I have tried Word on a Surface Book and a Lenovo Yoga 920. Both have the above problems. The problems appears to be in the design of the program.

Additionally, the input panel  blocks out writing so that one can only see a word or two when writing.

I use Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 that I purchased through my university.

I have a 10 year old Lenovo X60 that still works. It still has Windows 7.

I tested writing in Word on the X60 with its simple pen.

Input using the pen has no lag. The conversion to text seems immediate. The input screen also allows for all of the input text to be visible. This is of considerable value for writers.

Using Windows 7 one can write in cursive as one would write on paper. Not so in Windows 10.

The input method in Word in Windows 10 is not useful for writers who wish to have their cursive writing transformed to text.

I can use my 10-year old Lenovo with Windows 7 to write. I may just do that.

My concerns may represent a small market for Microsoft. But the problem with the pen entry system in Word in Windows 10 is still a problem.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for kind feedback here. Currently, I don't have the equipment to test and reproduce your problem.

You can also update your Windows 10 and Office 2016 to have a check. Please make sure you have installed the latest hardware drivers.

if the issue persists, you can post the issue and submit your feedback on Word UserVoice Forum

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, May 3, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Hello Herb

Thank you for your quick response.

I updated programs before I sent the message. So Word and Windows 10 are updated.

Best

Steve

Friday, May 3, 2019 6:56 PM
  • Hi Steve,

In addition, the quickest route to get your comments to Office developers’ ears is right from within any Office app. And if you want to, you can even tell us your email address in case they need to contact you for clarification. They read all feedback.

From your Office 2016 app, click File > Feedback. Click the appropriate button and fill out the form.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:38 AM