Windows Shell Experience Host and Explorer.exe are eating my CPU RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, as the title says, I´m having problems with this two programs running on the background.

When I open a Windows Explorer window, it freezes my computer since, along with Windows Shell Experience Host, they take up around 45% to 60% of my CPU. After I close both of them with the Task manager, my CPU usage goes back to 2% and my computer ends up much more quiet than before.

I need to work with some files and with this problem it has rendered my computer unusable. I tried using sfc /SCANNOW to check for corrupted system files and it stops around 2% and it shows up a message that says "Windows Resource protection could not perform the requested operation". If needed, here I will post a DXDIAG log for feedback. I have also checked for viruses and malware with both Windows Defender and Hitman Pro 3, no results.

Here is the DXDIAG.txt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgt5xiofm7poukt/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Any help will be much appreciated.

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi ToasterPC,

It seems you are not the only one that encountered this issue:

Windows Shell Experience Host

For the current situation, please take use of Windows Feedback tool to submit this issue.

Mine is OK when opening File Explorer. CPU usage is around 0-2%, with no other apps running.

One more thing, please check this issue under clean boot, make sure all the drivers are well configured.

And Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 10 Technical Preview is available for download now:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45522

More reference:

Troubleshooting Windows Performance Issues Using the Windows Performance Recorder

For the SFC error, currently SFC and the DISM are not available to use for repairing the Windows by now, using the online method, if you would like to repair Windows, you may take a try with refresh, or run DISM using the install.wim file:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess

If you do not specify a /Source for the repair files, the default location for Features on Demand is used. For more information, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. If you specify more than one /Source, the files are copied from the first location where they are found and the rest of the locations are ignored. You can use /LimitAccess to prevent the DISM tool from using Windows Update as a repair source or as a backup repair source for online images.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:41 AM