Is there any way to stop multiple windows opened from cascading in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Windows 7 every new window opened will display a little down, and to the right, of the previous window opened (cascaded). Is there any way to have new windows open exactly where they were last displayed, or am I stuck with cascading windows in Windows 7?

I very often have multiple windows opened, and am getting VERY tired of having to reposition them to where I want them every time I open more than one window!

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:29 AM

All replies

• To fix this, first check the "Restore previous folder windows at logon" in My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced Settings. Then, apply this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979560

This should restore each window at it's own fixed position where it was closed the last time. Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:03 PM
  • When you launch an application or open a window, manually position it and resize it. Then close it. It should open there the next time. Be sure that the maximize button is off at the top center when you resize.

Next, right-click the taskbar (at the bottom of the screen) and select Undo cascade.

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Monday, August 22, 2011 7:47 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Are you talking about Windows Explorer windows?

If so, check out this handy free utility:  ShellFolderFix

I've been using it since Windows 7 released.  It's very good.

-Noel

Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:48 PM
    1. Undo cascade is not on my taskbar right-click menu, but from the multitude of responses on other forums, it doesn't sound like what we need, either.
    2. Manually positioning/resizing, then closing parent/child windows and reopening does not always work for me.  On ANY computers that I have used at home or at work (10-15 by now).  When it does, it is only until the next session or reboot.
    3. My windows are NEVER maximized (unless I'm forced to in order to show all the necessary data)
    4. "Restore previous folder windows at logon" is one of the first tweaks that I do to a new computer - has nothing to do with this.  It only reopens a My Computer/Windows Explorer window to the same folder that is left open upon shut down.
    5. The other right-click menu options for the Task bar do not do what we are asking.  What we want is, for example, all Excel windows stacked exactly on top of each other - same size, same position, no cascading.  Same for Word documents, email messages (although I read most of mine in Preview Pane, I open those that I need to respond to because of frequent interruptions), and so forth.
    6. Opening 'in the same window' is NOT what we want either.  Sometimes, I need to move another document, spreadsheet or browser window so that I can see two simultaneously, & I am fine with this.  But, e.g., I have my browser windows next to my camera window, so EVERY time a browser window cascades, for example, I have to move it over the top of the other one because it covers up part of the camera video.

More: In my job I have a camera window, a console window, and my email that I am continually monitoring while I enter data in spreadsheets, retrieve data from our portal, respond to email, create and/or update documents and web pages, and so forth.  Also, I commonly refer to data in one window while I am working in another.  Although I now have two 20" monitors, I currently have six windows showing - two half-screen size, and four quarter-screen size.

When I restart my computer and reopen apps, I want them the EXACT SAME size and location where I had them before I shut down.  E.g., I always work with the phone system in the lower right quadrant of the left screen and the spreadsheet that contains all the phone and PBX data half-size right next to it.  The camera app is quarter-size already, so it fits perfectly above the PBX/Audix software.  Active Directory window is also approx. quarter-size and fits over the top of the phone software.  Another console window commonly used fits right over the top of that.  Which is currently on top depends on what I am doing.

Outlook is half-size on the left side of my right monitor.  The task window is quarter-size on the upper-right because I have to refer to the sender and contents of a message in order to enter the task.  The console window is quarter-size on the bottom right of the same monitor, but frequently gets covered up with tasks, open email and tasks.

At home, I want to see at least part of the theme background while I am doing other tasks, and am frequently working in a quarter-size window while I'm waiting for a web page to load, etc.

Many, many, MANY other people have requested the ability to disable the cascading effect, so I know that there is a huge demand for it, but I have never found a resolution.

Hope this helps explain what we are after.  One of the things that I greatly appreciate about Microsoft is that you have always listened to your customers!

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:14 PM
  • Hi. 

Check it pls/ http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11073/stupid-geek-tricks-tile-or-cascade-multiple-windows-in-windows-7/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely!

Khalid Garayev

* Please don't forget to mark as answer or Vote if it helps!

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:31 PM