Publisher won't open after recent update RRS feed

• Question

• My computer recently completed automatic updates. All my Publisher file icons are now gold. When I click to open a Publisher file on the desktop or from a folder, I get a dialog box that says Office 2010 is not installed on my computer. After selecting "I already have Office 2010", the next box prompts me for a product key. After entering my product key, the message tells me it is not valid. I can go to Publisher from the start menu, open it, and then open a file from the desktop. This is only happening with Publisher files. Thank you

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue?

1. Please go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program and reset the Publisher related extension to Microsoft Publisher. Then test issue again.

2. Try to run a repair of your Office installation to check the result.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > right-click your Office program and click Change > choose Repair

3. Temporarily uninstall the recent update and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, October 4, 2013 4:42 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 7:10 AM
  • http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2013/09/18/office-2010-starter-edition-file-type-associations-missing-after-september-2013-update.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue?

1. Please go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program and reset the Publisher related extension to Microsoft Publisher. Then test issue again.

2. Try to run a repair of your Office installation to check the result.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > right-click your Office program and click Change > choose Repair

3. Temporarily uninstall the recent update and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:10 AM
  • http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2013/09/18/office-2010-starter-edition-file-type-associations-missing-after-september-2013-update.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:47 AM