Software in XP Mode can't see mapped drives RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this or not but I'll never know if I don't ask, right?

We have some software installed from a network drive.  It isn't compatible with Windows 7 because it uses Microsoft Java Virtual Machine, so I'm trying to install it from XP mode.  I am able to access the drive where the installer is located.  I can run the installation wizard, too.  The problem is within the installation wizard.  I'm not sure quite how to explain this so please bear with me.  The wizard asks for the location of the installation software (which is on a mapped network drive) and the location of the software to run on the client pc (also on a network drive).  The trouble is the wizard doesn't detect the mapped drives.  I've already changed the EnableLinkedConnections key but it doesn't seem to have any effect in XP mode.  I've also tried to manually map the drives before running the wizard but it can't find the path.

Can anyone help me please?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:39 PM

Answers

• Figured it out.  I didn't realize that I would also have to join the domain through XP mode.  I just kind of assumed that it would be part of the domain since it was running from a pc on the domain.  Guess that proves what they say about assumptions. ;)

Anyway, after I joined the virtual pc to the domain my software installed without a hitch, and it also solved my drive mapping issues.
    • Marked as answer by jkloth1 Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From the history of MSJAV, we can see Microsoft Java Virtual Machine was unsupported since 2004. According to my test, the windows installer installation has no issues.  So can you install other program based on windows installer instead of Microsoft Java Virtual Machine as a test. If only the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine failed to install the program, I will suspect that Microsoft Java Virtual Machine originally does not support such actions by design.

Will you see the mapped driver on client PC from windows XP mode?

Make sure you have turned of UAC on the client PCs. When you say "manually map the drive" do you mean  "type \\server-ip" on the address bar from "My computer"?

"open my computer
    in the address bar type \\server-ip
    input credentials
    find the shared drive
    right click and click map network drive "

From the feedback from other users encounter similar issues but on windows installer installation, disable integration features (under Windows explore\Tools option in a running VM), login to the VM and try again. Also change the network adapter from shared to bridge mode to check the result.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:32 AM
  • By manually map the drive I mean through the command prompt with net use. 

I disabled the integration features as you mentioned.
    I tried the \\ip_address in the run box from start menu and I was able to connect.  I was also able to connect using \\server.domain.com so I tried to map the drives again from cmd prompt.  I was able to map the drives after this.

Unfortunately, my problems still are not solved.  When installing the software I get an error message saying it couldn't launch setup.exe on the network drive.
    I looked at the log file and judging from these two lines I need administrative privileges:
    Could not execute the external program W:\clnt91d\netsetup\setup.exe
    User Rights: Admin

Is my assumption correct?  How do I get the XPMUser account created by the Windows VM to use my system administrator privileges?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Figured it out.  I didn't realize that I would also have to join the domain through XP mode.  I just kind of assumed that it would be part of the domain since it was running from a pc on the domain.  Guess that proves what they say about assumptions. ;)

Anyway, after I joined the virtual pc to the domain my software installed without a hitch, and it also solved my drive mapping issues.
    • Marked as answer by jkloth1 Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Yes your not too intuitive suggestion to add the virtual PC to the domain worked for me as well...  Thank you!
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:50 PM
  • How do you do that? I have the same issue.
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:40 PM