Office 2013 Std (local) in combination with Office 2013 Pro (App-V) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have multiple RDS servers, that have Office 2013 Std installed locally. I did this on purpose, after reading some blogs pointing out Office 2013 is a complicated applicatie to stream well. And of course Office 2013 is highly critical to my clients. So I have a local installation of Office 2013 Std on every RDS server.

The catch is, that the client also has an open license for Office 2013 Pro. This is because some users need to work with 'Access 2013'.

So I thought it would be nice to use App-V to stream Access 2013 to the RDS servers. I have created the package for Office 2013 Pro, with Access in it. And I succesfully published Access 2013 to the group of users. So I can use Access on the RDS servers.

The problem is, that when I click on the appliation "MSACCESS.exe", the application pops up in taskmanager and is immidiatly shut down again. So it never launches. No error, no nothing.

I can't find any directions in the server, applicatie or App-V logs in the eventviewer. Does anyone have a clue where to look?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Andee_1979 Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:52 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hello Falko,

I figured that would be the problem. That is probably also the reason why Access will stream, but will not open, because the Office Deplotment kit is licensed for a 'Standard' installation and will not allow 'Access 2013' to work.

I'll have to direct users that need Access to a specific RDS server, where I will install "Office 2013 Pro". I was so happy I finally got Access published, because I was running into XML issues with the .1003 version of Office 2013 :(

Thanks for all your help Aaron, Falko.

Monday, September 29, 2014 8:01 AM

All replies

• It's worth checking, but I'm not sure that what you're trying to do is supported.

You might be better off installing Office 2013 Pro and restricting those Pro applications to only those workstations to which the software is licensed. That is, allow Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook for all and restrict Access and other apps to only those end-points that are licensed.

Also note that if you license Office via Volume License, it's the end-point, not the user, that is licensed for the software. In an RDS/VDI environment, you need 3rd party software like AppSense Application Manager to restrict execution of the licensed software to specified end-points.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Sunday, September 28, 2014 11:51 PM
  • Hello Aaron,

Thanks for replying.

The thing is, they have 100 x Office 2013 Std licences and 15 x Office 2013 Pro. So my idea was to give all users access to Office 2013 Std, since 85% don't need Access 2013. And then supply the few users that need Access 2013 by using App-V.

And by end-point you mean the specific VM? Then I'd have to direct users to a specific RDS server, which makes the loadbalancing kinda absolete..

Btw, love your blogs. They have been very helpful :-)
    • Edited by Andee_1979 Monday, September 29, 2014 7:19 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 6:37 AM
  • I think to be on a safe side, using a 'true' control system like AppSense or using dedicated RDS servers would be the only legally valid option.

Even when Office (or at least Access) is virtualized, the licensing part and product key handling is done natively on the RDS servers by the 'Office 2013 Deployment Kit'. Besides others this includes a locally installed 'licensing stump'. Therefor there can be only one Office Suite product key be assigned to a RDS server machine.

In fact you could tell the Deployment Kit to use the Office Pro key (allowing a virtualized Access to run), but then also the locally installed Office Version would (attempt to ) be licensed as 'Pro'. That potentially won't work. In fact you could re-configure the local Standard Office installation to consume Pro licenses, but that doesn't fit to your legal licenses.

As Aaron write, legally an Office license is bound to the endpoint device, so you'd have to make sure that your Access App-V package can only be access by permitted client machines. And while App-V can filter application on the accessing user and the executing machine, it can't filter on the accessing end-point.

Though we don't like it... 3rd party or a server silo seem the way to go.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Monday, September 29, 2014 7:50 AM
  • Hello Falko,

I figured that would be the problem. That is probably also the reason why Access will stream, but will not open, because the Office Deplotment kit is licensed for a 'Standard' installation and will not allow 'Access 2013' to work.

I'll have to direct users that need Access to a specific RDS server, where I will install "Office 2013 Pro". I was so happy I finally got Access published, because I was running into XML issues with the .1003 version of Office 2013 :(

Thanks for all your help Aaron, Falko.

Monday, September 29, 2014 8:01 AM
  • For those of you that have experience with this, is Applocker a MS approved way of, say, deploying MS Pro but restricting Access so you are in license of ONLY Standard at that point in time?

Still exploring App-V'ing Office 2013, but ideally having a way of deploying Pro and dynamically turning it into Standard (or doing vice versa) would help tons.
    Not going to hold anyone to the licensing, but if you have been given the thumbs up by MS would be good to know.

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:50 PM
  • In VDI/RDS environments, AppLocker is great for per-user control of licensing, so it would work for Office 365. AppLocker cannot control execution of software on specific end-points where the desktop is running in the data centre - it does not have any component that can look at the end-point's hostname/IP address/MAC address etc.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, September 29, 2014 10:46 PM