Files disappearing after renaming folder RRS feed

• Question

• WSS 3.0:

HI ,

We are facing a strange issue in one of our teamsite, when we rename a folder which has a lengthy name we are getting an error message as "The specified file or folder name is too long.The URL path for all files and folders must be 260 characters or less.PLease type a shorter file or older name".

After this we changed the folder name little shorter, then we shocked to see that there is no files present inside the folder. All were dissappeared from the folder leaving the empty folder. We tried to replicate this scenario in our test environment and found the same happening there aswell. Content approval is not selected in both the environments and not sure what causing this issue.

Any one faced this issue already and any help on overcoming this issue ...

Thanks

R Saravana Kumar

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 22, 2011 12:20 PM WSS moved from Title to Text (SP 2007 is default here)
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 22, 2011 12:20 PM PLEASE start posting your Admin questions to the Admin forum and NOT to General (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, July 22, 2011 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you go to view all site content is it showing the same number of files?

If you revert back to the original URL is it showing the files gain? If yes then download them and then delete the folders along with the files and then recreate the folders and upload the files back and this time use short URLs.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, August 1, 2011 1:44 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

What pack have you installed for you wss3.0 ? I tried to change the name of a folder to more than 266 characters ,but  failed .Because the system will not read the characters that you input when the folder name reaches a specific length and it won’t prompt any warning .

1.       So how do you edit the folder name to have that much character?

2.       And how do you change the folder name ?Just edit properties?

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

If you go to view all site content is it showing the same number of files?

If you revert back to the original URL is it showing the files gain? If yes then download them and then delete the folders along with the files and then recreate the folders and upload the files back and this time use short URLs.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, August 1, 2011 1:44 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:50 AM
  • Hello,

I am having the same problem today.

What did you do to fix this issue?

Please let me know.

Monday, March 2, 2020 10:41 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the same problem you had.

What did you do to fix it?

Monday, March 2, 2020 10:44 PM
  • Hello,

This happened to us today and we are freaking out.

The folder number and file number are not the same.

I am using 2003.

Please help.

Monday, March 2, 2020 10:45 PM