none
Currency conversion issue RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a regular currency converstion function in SSAS. Having a fact table with local currency(booked currency), I would like to have local currency(booked currency) or USD amount showing on the report. It works fine if I select USD on my report, but if I select local, the total based on other dimension will be simplely sum up of all the numbers for different currency. This is NOT right. Ideally, total will be sumed up on the converted value based on country/region currency or by pivot currency. Any idea to resolve this?

Total  Sales  HTG 2341.00
    JMD 24343.00
    KYD 4545.00
    TTD 321123.00
    USD 43245.00
    XCD 2145432.00
    Total 2541029.00

Thanks, 

Marser

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, I think my question might not be so clear. The following is my requirement:

We have a lot of transactions occurring around different countries with different currencies. When we report the business, we want to display based on different currency scenarios:

1. Default currency USD. This is the default report currency and is easy to implement.

2. By booked currency, this is a problem for rollup. Any rollup needs to show figures  by the default currency.

3. By Country/Region currency, this a problem too. How to convert again the country/region given that there is a currency attribute in the Country/Region dimension.

4. By an individual currency, this can be done via one-many conversion.

Any idea?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marser

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Depends alot on how your source systems are recording transactions. Have you seen Christian Wade's blog post of eons ago. A classic and the best description of how to implement the different types of currency conversions out there.

http://consultingblogs.emc.com/christianwade/archive/2006/08/24/Currency-Conversion-in-Analysis-Services-2005.aspx

HTH, Martin

http://martinmason.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:47 AM