forgotten admin password RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have just set-up steady state and somehow the password that i entered for admin does not work! I have a user account with fairly tight restrictions - but is there some way to reset my admin password? I don't have access to control panel in user account.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Roboz,

Windows XP has a default administrator account named "Administrator". This account is only displayed when we enter Safe Mode, and this account was created when you set up the computer. By default, there is no password for this account and the password is determined when you setup the Windows XP system. We can use this account to reset the password of the lost password of other accounts.

Please try the following steps:

---------------------

1. Start the computer. When the Boot Menu appears at startup, press F8.

2. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode and press Enter.

3. Log into Windows by using the Administrator account and password.

NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you already set a password.

4. After logging into Safe Mode, click "Start", go to "Run", type in "nusrmgr.cpl" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

5. Choose the user you want to modify and Click "Reset Password". Set a new password.

6. Click "Advanced" tab, Click "Advanced" button.

7. Click "Users". Choose the user you want to modify in the right pane. Right it and Click "Properties".

8. Check the box of "Password never expires". Click "OK".

Then, quit the settings and restart your computer to logon to Normal Mode.

To perform the above steps, please make sure either the password of administrator is empty or you remember this password. If you cannot log on as Administrator, then at this time, unfortunately, we cannot reset the password. I understand the inconvenience you have encountered. However, this behavior is designed to protect the password.

If you need any further assistance on this issue, I suggest that you post to the Windows XP Security and Administration newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin&cat=en_US_649a30ca-5c6a-454c-995f-663a9bdbd12f&lang=en&cr=US

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:30 AM
  • I thought this was going to work. I went into Safe Mode, twice CTRL+ALT+DEL to get login window, typed in Administrator clicked OK but got message that password was wrong.  - so I must have set a password when I installed XP.

Is this password the same one that can be set when you enter BIOS settings?

Can the password be diabled/changed so that I can get past this step?

If not, what is my options from here - if I do a complete reinstall of windows will this erase everything from the hard drive including steadystate?

I still have limited access through a user account - is there a way through this account to do something?

Saturday, August 4, 2007 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

The administrator password is different from the BIOS password. As we only have limited access using this user account, the password cannot be disabled or changed either.

For your reference, I found some threads in the Windows XP Security and Administration newsgroup. Please check if they are useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=forgotten+admin+password+&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin&cat=en_US_649a30ca-5c6a-454c-995f-663a9bdbd12f&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

Regards,

Monday, August 6, 2007 3:46 AM