none
PWA Not showing correct projects to users as intended RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Lengthy post, so apologies.  We are in the process of configuring our PWA for our users.  One of the processes we are trying to achieve is a very simple, you see a project if you should see, not all projects scenario.

Current Configuration is as follows.

• All Users (Except 2) have been placed in the TEAM MEMBERS group.
      • Team members group has ALL global permissions ticked, except anything under the Admin Banner.
      • Team Members group has been added to the following Categories "Direct Reports" "Organization" "Projects" "Resources" "Tasks" with full permissions given to all categories. 
      • Each of the above categories have "Only Include the selected Projects Ticked"
      • No Individual Projects are selected.
      • Additionally, Dynamically include projects in this category where: (all Ticked)

The User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within that Project
    The User is on that project's Project Team               
    The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS
    A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS
    The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User

• We have a simple RBS Structure created, 3 tier.

This is our problem.

User A is on tier 1 (top)

User B is on tier 2 (mid)

User C is on tier 3 (bottom)

(all these users are in the team members group)

User A has created 6 projects, User A has added User B to the Build Team option on all projects.  User B cannot see any of the projects unless a task is assigned.  Is this as intended?  Microsoft Support (Phone) has instructed me that the USER has to have a task assigned to see the project.

User B can see all of User C projects (Even tho no task is assigned and the user is not on the Build Team List), we believe this to be true because of the options ticked above.  If we untick all the boxes that relate to RBS, user B can still see those projects.

We stripped down our configuration to be simplified above to try and resolve this issue, help !

• Edited by nekrodeemus Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:25 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, which Project Version are you using? I guess it is 2013 version.. There are slight changes on how the project plans and sites are accessible between the versions.

Then my second thought is that you took a wrong path for your security model. The team member group shouldn't have all permissions checked, it shouldn't have all the categories associated with. All the categories shouldn't have all checkboxes ticked for the projects visibility. Team members are not supposed to create projects.

Thus it becomes difficult for us to debug your issue since the security model you implemented is not following the best practices. I'd suggest that you step back to the out-of-the-box groups and categories (eventually re applying the security templates) to see if this model suits to your need, and assign the users in the appropriate groups (I mean project creator in the project manager group, team members in the team member group).

That being said...

No one on this forum has a better position than Microsoft, thus trust them if they said so. I remember that there are some changes between 2010 and 2013 versions on the visibility given by the build team.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

We initially had groups set up on a broader scale with less abilities given. And we did what you suggested, and that was delete all the groups/categories we had created, and used the out of the box ones.   However, due to the ongoing view issues we wanted to lump 'everyone' in the same boat as per say and see if that would fix the issue then drill down to see what setting broke this..  We will go back and rereview what the team members can and cannot do, however I will say this, beyond admin rights, there is not many things our members shouldn't be able to do.  We wanted to rule out if it was a group issue or if it was a permissions issue.

I do not believe we are trying to achieve anything fancy, and our user access rights don't need to be complex and thankfully we are not using project fully yet, so we can play around somewhat.

All we are trying to achieve is the following.

An RBS structure based on departments that gives the end user view rights on where they have been assigned in the RBS, unless that have been added to the 'team'.

Lets say 8 Departments in one Group, 2 Departments in Another Group.

A Layer above that, one RBS Value that can See the 8 Departments, and one RBS that can see the other 2 Departments.

Then Finally a Final level (top) that saw all. So...

2                            2

3 3                  3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

As for version, we are using Office365 Project 2013. 

• Edited by nekrodeemus Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:47 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Thus indeed it is true that with Project 2013 you have to assign user to a task (and not only to the build team) so he can see the project.

I'd really advice to start again with the default groups and categories and point us out where you encounter specific issues.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Thanks again for your reply.

Yes adding a task shows the project for the user.

I would like to state, we are using the default groups and categories, all we have done is add additional rights.

One thing I would like to clarify going forward.

As our example above, user a b and c, one on 3 different levels, How can a user on level two (b) see the projects of the user on level 3 (c) without a task added ?

If I move the user b (level 2) up to the same level at user a (level 1) she see's all the projects again, without a task being added.

I see the dynamically added project filters working correctly, except the add to team.  I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to wrap my head around how these groups, categories and rbs interact.  I would understand if there was a "All user to see projects that have a task assigned to them"  But there is not, I am just going on what the product is telling me.

Also, I would add, that before I assigned different permissions to the team members group, when it was at default, it was as above.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

For your first question, if you ticked "A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS", then it is normal that a user on level 2 (b) sees the projects of a user in the level 3 (c). What is important to notice is that being assigned to a task to see the project works for the resource in the project build team itself and not for ascendants. For ascendants, the rule "A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS" is applied.

Please tell me if anything is unclear.

Hope this helps,

Friday, October 17, 2014 12:43 PM