SoftGrid database replication solution? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently designing a SoftGrid infrastructure of a fault tolerant solution.  There are two data centres with very similar setups the theory being if a plane lands on one site, an immediate or at least in a matter of hours, a switch over to the back up site can be accomplished.

Most things are fine and straight forward F5 load balancing active-passive SAN etc.  However, I am concerned about the SoftGrid Management database as this does not support replication.  The only other options I can think of apart from restoring from backup, is to configure the second site as a non-centralised branch office, which I think will work, but seems an odd solution.  Also the way I understand it, this will require manual coping of the database, which is messy and annoying as this will surely need doing every day.

Is there an alternative?  Also anybody out there using replication, although not "supported" I am guessing it will work.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers

• Would it be possible to cluster SQL database between both sites (in active-passive MSCS cluster)? That way access will still go to only one site but at least if other site is down then services are brought up on second one.

/Kalle

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to wait until version 4.5 is released in the summer?

The LightWeight Server configuration is usefull in this sort of scenario's.

In a enterprise scenario I won't design a none-supported scenario..

Ruben

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:43 PM

All replies

• Would it be possible to cluster SQL database between both sites (in active-passive MSCS cluster)? That way access will still go to only one site but at least if other site is down then services are brought up on second one.

/Kalle

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to wait until version 4.5 is released in the summer?

The LightWeight Server configuration is usefull in this sort of scenario's.

In a enterprise scenario I won't design a none-supported scenario..

Ruben

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:43 PM