none
System Center 2016 Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• First off, I apologize if this isn't the right forum or category. I couldn't find a more specific one.

I'll like to purchase and deploy System Center DPM 2016 for a customer, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the licensing requirements. I want to run DPM in a VM. DPM will be backing a maximum of 4 file and SQL  servers (all VMs). 

Can anyone please help advise what Edition I need and the number and type of licenses needed.

Thanks

• Edited by Long_Rifle Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:16 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Long_Rifle,

Ive been facing a similar problem and trying to get my head around the new per core licensing of System Center 2016.

I spoke to Microsoft partner support who have advised that you need to purchase licenses to cover the amount of physical cores that are on the physical server hosting your 4 SQL and File Server VM's. Remembering that you need to purchase a minimum of 16 cores per server.

So if you simply have 1 host server that will host your 4 VM's and your 1 DPM VM and that host has two 8 core processors or below you would purchase 8 x 2 core system center 2016 licenses.

That above rule covers both editions, standard and datacenter. After you've licensed all cores a standard license would allow you to managed (in your case backup) 2 VM's a datacenter edition would allow you to manage / backup an unlimited number of VM's (providing all of the 'unlimited' VM's reside on the one host as in this example you've only licensed the physical cores for one host).

As far as im aware (would be worth checking though) you can still stack standard licenses on top of each other. i.e. buy double the amount of standard licenses allowing management / backup of 4 VM's. So picking which edition to use purely comes down to which is going to be the most cost efficient for current needs whilst factoring in potential future growth.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Paul_GP Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Paul Answer.

System Center 2016 server MLs is core based. To license the OSEs under management, all physical cores must be licensed in the server being managed.

A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor in the server and a minimum of 16 core licenses required for each server.

Standard Edition provides rights to manage up to 2 OSEs when all physical cores in the server are licensed. Multiple licenses can be assigned to the same cores to manage additional OSEs.

thanks

diramoh

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:58 AM