none
Intermittent sent emails not sending exchange 2016 (appear in sent folder, but not mailflow delivery report)

Question

• Heya,

I'm having an issue with an exchange server which is being bizzare. For the most part, it works fine, but occasionally emails that are sent arent being received. They appear in the outlook clients sent items, but arent in the delivery report. I can't find them anywhere... I'm a bit stuck as it works most of the time, but the only way we know it is broken is when clients tell us they havent received something. Emails sent to the same address will go with no issue if we send it again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

<EDIT> Just to add to this, the email is in the sent folder in OWA, but isnt in the delivery report.
    • Edited by tails84 Monday, May 22, 2017 7:02 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 4:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Tails,

Does a specific user encounter this issue ? Or many users have this issue ?

Per my knowledge, delivery reports only tracks messages that were sent by people using Microsoft Outlook (Exchange mode)or Outlook on the web, it doesn't track messages sent from POP3 or IMAP4 email clients. 

We can try using message tracking log to search the lost email and check if gets something:

Get-ExchangeServer |Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender Sender@domain.com -Recipients Recipient@domain.com -MessageSubject "Subject" 
    Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

It happens to all users.

They are all using exchange type outlook.

when i run the command, it shows the email in question, but just has eventID : receive only. There is no other events.

4/05/2017 11:26:06 AM       RECEIVE          STOREDRIVER

• Edited by tails84 Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:34 AM
  • Hi Tails,

The RECEIVE id shows that the mailbox had submitted the message to the Mailbox Transport Submission service. Then we can check if these message in queues, and view their properties :

View queued message properties in Queue Viewer

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 26, 2017 3:02 AM
  • Thanks for that, it wasn't the solution in the end but got me the correct heading. 

Turned out that our network wasnt supporting ipv6, So i had to go into the exchange admin center and make some changes to how the emails are being routed.

It has been a week and we haven't had an issue. Thanks for your help again,

If anyone stumbles over this, here is the resource that I used.

https://serverfault.com/questions/837595/exchange-2016-message-tracking-email-not-received-sometimes

Regards,

JT

Monday, June 5, 2017 11:50 PM
  • Hi Tails,

Glad you solved the issue, and thanks for your sharing.

BTW, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:17 AM