icacls issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There, hope you are well. I hope somebody can help me with the following problem.

When I start windows I get the following pop up: 

System32\icacls.exe -- Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the file.

I do have permission. Not sure what the problem is and I have searched for an answer but had no luck.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

cacls and icacls are Microsoft Windows native command line utility capable of displaying and modifying Access Control List (ACL) on folders and files. An Access Control List is a list of permissions for securable object, such as a file or folder, that controls who can access it.

Did this issue occur before? I suggest you could disable the anti-virus program to test the result. Did you install some new programs on your system? if you did, try to disable them to check if the issue persists. If the issue persists, you could perform clean boot to determine whether background programs interfere your system.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Alex zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 10, 2010 8:42 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 9:03 AM