Vista 64 bit isnt reading all of the ram RRS feed

• Question

• I just got a new system, Core i7 920, P6T, and 6G of Trident Ram (DDR3)....
    So, now im using Vista 64bit so i can use all of my ram, but its only showing up with 4G of it... but if i use Cpuz it says i have 6G in... please help

Im sorry if this has been posted before.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

For further troubleshooting, could you please tell us the following items:

1. How much installed memory(RAM) that is reported in the System Information dialog box ? You can press WIN + Break keys to open the System Information dialog box .

2. What is the brand and model of your graphic card? How much Graphic Memory it takes? Please take the following steps to check it.

1)Right click the desktop and click Personalize.

2)Click Display settings.

3)Click Advanced settings. Then you will see the number of graphic memory in the panel.

3. Make sure that your computer meet the following requirements.

1)The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:

Intel 975X

Intel P965

Intel 955X on Socket 775

Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.

2)The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.

3)The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature.

4)An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.

Note: When the physical RAM that is installed on a computer equals the address space that is supported by the chipset, the total system memory that is available to the operating system is always less than the physical RAM that is installed. For example, consider a computer that has an Intel 975X chipset that supports 8 GB of address space. If you install 8 GB of RAM, the system memory that is available to the operating system will be reduced by the PCI configuration requirements. In this scenario, PCI configuration requirements reduce the memory that is available to the operating system by an amount that is between approximately 200 MB and approximately 1 GB. The reduction depends on the configuration.

4. Do you have any other PCI devices which may take usage of memory?

5. Check the Maximum memory in BOOT Advanced Options.

1) Type msconfig in Run box ( Press WIN + R ), and press Enter.

2) Click Advanced Options in System Configuration.

3) Uncheck Maximum memory box.

4) Restart the computer.

6. Check in BIOS to see if it detects all of RAM, if BIOS doesn't detect all of RAM, please contact RAM manufacturer for help.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:40 AM