Windows Storage Server 2003 Security Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am about to get an older Dell Poweredge 840 server. The server in question has Windows Storage Server 2003 x64 on it. I looked up WSS03's update support, and on Microsoft's site it states that it is still supported until 10-09-2016.

I have the ISO for the server and I decided while I wait for it to arrive I would try it out in a VM. Everything is working great, except I think windows update sees it as regular Windows Server 2k3. It does not see any updates beyond 7-14-2015.

I have no previous experience with a server, but someone told me that WSS03 is brought up to date via the OEM of the server. If this is the case, what program do I use to download the updates? Is there a third party solution that would work better? Also, if no one here knows the answer to these questions, do you know where else I could post this?

Thanks

Sunday, August 16, 2015 5:54 AM

Answers

• For "boxed" hardware ask device vendor.

If you need help with W2003 ther is payed one for one year (600 USD).

Support for W2K3 ended on July 2015.

Regards

Milos

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:05 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 5:39 PM
  • I am about to get an older Dell Poweredge 840 server. The server in question has Windows Storage Server 2003 x64 on it. I looked up WSS03's update support, and on Microsoft's site it states that it is still supported until 10-09-2016.

I have the ISO for the server and I decided while I wait for it to arrive I would try it out in a VM. Everything is working great, except I think windows update sees it as regular Windows Server 2k3. It does not see any updates beyond 7-14-2015.

I have no previous experience with a server, but someone told me that WSS03 is brought up to date via the OEM of the server. If this is the case, what program do I use to download the updates? Is there a third party solution that would work better? Also, if no one here knows the answer to these questions, do you know where else I could post this?

Dell PowerEdge 840, Windows Storage Server 2003; contact Dell.

Windows Storage Server support is all from the appliance vendor, although given the age of it, it's fairly unlikely there might be much in the way of updates for it anyway.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:47 AM

All replies

• For "boxed" hardware ask device vendor.

If you need help with W2003 ther is payed one for one year (600 USD).

Support for W2K3 ended on July 2015.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, August 16, 2015 5:39 PM
  • I am about to get an older Dell Poweredge 840 server. The server in question has Windows Storage Server 2003 x64 on it. I looked up WSS03's update support, and on Microsoft's site it states that it is still supported until 10-09-2016.

Dell PowerEdge 840, Windows Storage Server 2003; contact Dell.

Windows Storage Server support is all from the appliance vendor, although given the age of it, it's fairly unlikely there might be much in the way of updates for it anyway.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:47 AM