Adobe Reader 9 Launch Error 00000A09 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently upgraded Adobe Reader 8 to 9 Version via SoftGrid. However, users with Adobe Acrobat Std 9 which is locally installed are getting launch failed (00000A09) when they try to open up pdfs where Adobe Reader 9 via SoftGrid is also installed.

I looked at the sftlog.ext on client:

“[10/27/2008 13:50:14.832 AMGR ERR] {tid=1100:usr=clientname}
    The SoftGrid Client cannot open Adobe Reader 8 8.1.0.137”

It looks like SoftGrid client is still trying to open up PDF using Adobe Reader 8. But the user already been removed from Adobe Reader 8 container and placed in to Adobe Reader 9 container.

I already reset SoftGrid Client cache to a clean state via regedit key but that didn’t help. If I remove Adobe Acrobat 9 then everything works fine. But that is not an option.

SoftGrid 4.2

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:42 PM

All replies

• It is not recommended to have a locally installed and virtual version of the same application.  It sounds like somewhere you are running into some File Type Association (FTA) issues.

Which version of Adobe Reader 9 are you removing, the virtual or the local, that makes it work fine.

When you sequenced Adobe Reader 9, did you expand the Nosso package and install from MSI?  see http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/deploying_reader9.pdf

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Hi,

After you moved the users from one group to another, the users have to log off and on again (to update their user group membership).

Also you should make sure that the users perform a Publishing Server Refresh (default: During Logon) to really get the new Applications and File type Associations.

In the Client Management Console, there is a node that shows all the FTAs for the user - you could verify this.

Cleaning the cache won't help, because there is something going wrong with the information waht application to launch. Also in the Client management Console you could check if Adobe Reader 8 still is there.

And - not only by the way - Did you create a new Adobe Reader 9 Package on the Sequencer or did you update the version 8 package

Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:21 PM
  •  

Which version of Adobe Reader 9 are you removing, the virtual or the local, that makes it work fine.

I removed Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard that makes it work fine. (Yes, you make ask why do user need Standard when they will have the Reader. Sometimes users will roam to different computer. And there might not be Acrobat Standard installed. On my previous deployment of Reader 8 (Virtualized) and Acrobat 8 (installed locally) worked well together.

When you sequenced Adobe Reader 9, did you expand the Nosso package and install from MSI?

Yes but in a different way. I actually customized the Adobe Reader 9 with Adobe Customization Tool to disable Updates and turn off User Experience Feedback option. I then took the MSI package and sequenced the Reader 9. 

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, August 7, 2009 9:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:23 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:11 PM
  • adobe 9

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:36 AM
  • adobe 9
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:36 AM