impossible to do the dual boot. RRS feed

• Question

•      Hi everyone! just installed win7,all is rigth it works exellent but...I have windows xp and after the installation of win7 it is impossible to do the dual boot whith microsoft optical desktop 2000 wich is wireless.  Wath happens is thath during the boot it is all right but when the screen to choose the OS appears,  my keyboard won't me hallow to do thath,  it simply not work and I have to wait the 30 second until the default OS starts wich is win7.I have managed to set as default XP(via system\advanced\boot and recovery)  but restarting the sistem it still not hallows me to choose the OS. I just tryed to upgrade drivers on my keyboard (connected via USB 2.0) but still not working...Maybe thath the USB ports are not working during the dual boot? because I can see the leds shutting down during the screen of choosing the OS.                                                                                   Hope someone can help me!!           thanks in advance        perseo
    • Moved by Othorvath Friday, January 16, 2009 11:03 PM (Moved from Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment to Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:32 PM

Answers

• OK Friends!!! I've solved my problem
    PMFranklin said:

If you have a fairly recent computer you shouldn't need to go out and buy anything, and hopefully not wait for the final release!

As has been said before there should be an option in your BIOS to allow legacy USB devices (or similar).  When this is enabled it should then allow you to use your keyboard between the BIOS screens and the Windows logon.

Maybe you could tell us the motherboard you have and then it will be easier to check if is supports this feature.

Entered the BIOS, enabled USB LEGACY and now the keyboard let me choose the OS.                                                                                                  Thank you very much to everyone, especially to PMFranklin
    • Marked as answer by perseo12 Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:50 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have two suggestions which I hope will help,

1) It sounds like the BIOS on your system can't recognize that keyboard.  Try plugging another USB keyboard directly into your computer.  If that doesn't work, try using an older PS/2 keyboard which connects directly to your computer.

2) Allow the system to continue booting into Win7, then se BCDEDIT to set the default boot option to your XP install.  Then reboot, and you should go directly to XP.  This TechNet article describes some of the BCDEDIT commands.  If you try this option and need some more help with BCDEDIT please feel free to ask.

I hope those suggestions help.  Thanks for trying the beta,

Richard
    • Proposed as answer by Decent60 Friday, January 16, 2009 2:51 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Hi Perseo,
    just try to find a PS2 keyboard, once you log on to XP you can go to the advanced settings and edit the boot.ini files to make XP your default OS.
    If you want you can also change the value to -1 which will force you to make a selection and will remove the 30 seconds time, but if you keyboard is not working with it than makinig it -1 is not good idea

Hope this helps
    Enjoy Windows 7

Erdal
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Look for an option in your bios to "support usb keyboard in bios". Something along that wording and enable it. If that does not work then get out your ps/2 keyboard
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:21 AM

• It doesn't sound like a software related issue to me. An O/S has nothing to do with hardware function during boot.

Did your keyboard function properly during boot sequence BEFORE you installed W7? In other words, could you at least access your computers BIOS settings?
    What brand of PC or Motherboard are you using and about how old is it?
    Most newer Motherboards had a setting that can be accessed in the BIOS under either USB, or peripheral devices.
    It should say something like"USB Keyboard"> enable/disable. Choose enable and then choose save and exit.

It should allow a USB keyboard device to run via a wireless connection using the BIOS without a "driver"...if not, then your keyboard transmitter/dongle may have issues or there may be a problem with the keyboard itself.

Hope that helps!

• Proposed as answer by LPHAtlanta Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:13 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:13 AM
  • LPHAtlanta said:

It doesn't sound like a software related issue to me. An O/S has nothing to do with hardware function during boot.

Did your keyboard function properly during boot sequence BEFORE you installed W7?

First of all...Thank you evreybody for answering!!!Yes the KB works fine until the the screen to choose the OS is displayed and after the OS is loaded all is fine,the problem is just in this 30 second when I have to choose the OS....It could be that the two OS are located in two different Hard Disk?    I have just plugged the old KB and it works normally: I've been into the bios and there is no option for USB Keyboard...,meanning I have to change the keybord. motherboard I have is Asrock 775 dual vsta

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Did you dig fairly deep into your Bios? check under peripherals and such? If you have a keyboard your in love with (I know I do) then use a usb to ps/2 adapter. You might loose some functionality of your keyboard this way such as volume and mcaro keys (not always) But at least you will be able to use the keyboard you are used to.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:17 PM
  • thanks for replying!!I've googled for the PS2 to USB adapter...but there  is only  the possibility to plug a PS2 keyboard and mouse into an USB ports,and what I need is the upside down meaning an adapter that allow to put an USB connector into the PS 2 of the case computer. Maybe you know that this kind of adapter exist?  If yes can you give me some link?  Hope I've been clear because I'm not anglophone..                            Thank you again            Perseo
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:05 PM
  • Here's one

http://www.wiredzone.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=10018349
    Friday, January 16, 2009 2:13 PM
  • wow!thanks...It will work with mouse and keyboard? I mean the connector have only one plug USB,and the two (Keyboard and mouse) work togheter in one port usb.So my question is :It will work with mouse and keyboard?   Thank you again               Perseo
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Dual boot Win XP and Win 7 worked perfekt for me whitout doing anything, perfect!
    With Win Vista it was a lot of hard work to get dual boot to work...
    It's going in correct directiom, like Win 7 so far.
    Used Win Vista the hole beta period but jumped back to Win XP as is betther than Vista.
    We want a pure OS and chose program to install individually, not like Vista as install a lot of thing you not need ):
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I generally dont like to recommend people just go out and buy new stuff when there is a problem. However its likely your going to need to replace that keyboard/mouse combo. I would place the blame of your issue with the fact that it is a combo keyboard/mouse. I dont think that a usb to ps/2 connector will work at all with a combo. since the ps/2 serial channel only supports a keyboard or mouse at one time not both
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:20 PM
  • How did you get the dualboot with XP and Win7 to work?!?
    Friday, January 16, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Formated Vista partition and installed Win 7, when boot up got the chose of selecting Win 7 or "older OS". OSL2000 was installed on the Vista partition before format was done. (OSL2000 did I have to use whe I was working several hour to get dual boot with Vista and XP to work)
    Friday, January 16, 2009 9:53 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem. The keyboard (USB) worked fine during boot with XP alone, but has trouble with Windows 7 on the secong partion. This does seem to be software related, as unlikely as it would seem. When I can get the keyboard to work and get into the BIOS, USB is not disabled. Moreover, the solution seems to be to hold a key, any key, down during boot. I hold down the num lock key so I can see some indication that the kwyboard is being recognized.

This happens from boot until Windows 7 loads, unless I hold a key down. Only then can I choose an OS to boot from.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:39 PM
  • A USB to PS2 adapter WILL NOT WORK with a mouse combo.
    It will work with a single keyboard, but you will lose most all of the features of your keyboard/mouse software.
    WAIT until W7 is released for retail. This is an issue that MS will address ASAP.
    It is very common.
    Just go buy a cheap PS2 keyboard and use it along with your USB keyboard to select during boot, then when the problem is fixed unlpug it.
    It's always a good idea to have a PS2 keyboard around for emergency's.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:31 PM
  •  

Well Windows7 started off fine. It was very fast booting and shutdown. after about 6 or 7 reboots to move back and forth between my primary OS Vista Ultimate and Windows7 I suddenly could no longer access Vista, the Computer froze up, I was finally after about 1 1/2 hours able to get Vista to boot and opened MSConfig I found that Windows7 had installed as the default OS, I switched Vista back to the default OS, and was then unable to access Windows7 getting errors that I needed disk drivers. I finally F_Disked my D drive and re-installed Windows7. At completion of the install I checked MSCONFIG and re-set Vista as the default before trying to access Vista. I then started a 476 Meg down load and during the down load Windows7 crashed. this download had been sucessfuly completed under the initial install, installed and worked VERY well...............Gentlemen you have an issue.
    my system is twin Xeon at 3.06, 4 GIG ram 2-250 SATA drives.

Any one have any Ideas ??

I was dual booting to separate drives

Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:25 PM
  • If you have a fairly recent computer you shouldn't need to go out and buy anything, and hopefully not wait for the final release!

As has been said before there should be an option in your BIOS to allow legacy USB devices (or similar).  When this is enabled it should then allow you to use your keyboard between the BIOS screens and the Windows logon.

Maybe you could tell us the motherboard you have and then it will be easier to check if is supports this feature.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:26 PM
  • is USB legacy support enabled in your bios?

Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:33 PM
  • yup, here
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:05 PM
  • PMFranklin said:

If you have a fairly recent computer you shouldn't need to go out and buy anything, and hopefully not wait for the final release!

This happens after POST, so it is a software error associated with Windows 7. By this point, the BIOS is out of the picture. Buying a piece of hardware will not fix the software issue.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:27 AM
  • OK Friends!!! I've solved my problem
    PMFranklin said:

Entered the BIOS, enabled USB LEGACY and now the keyboard let me choose the OS.                                                                                                  Thank you very much to everyone, especially to PMFranklin
    • Marked as answer by perseo12 Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:50 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:49 AM
  • maspeir said:

PMFranklin said:

This happens after POST, so it is a software error associated with Windows 7. By this point, the BIOS is out of the picture. Buying a piece of hardware will not fix the software issue.

That's the problem exactly maspeir.  The BIOS hands control over to the OS, but until Windows is fully loaded it only has basic keyboard drivers - which don't support fancy USB keyboards.  Changing the BIOS to let the keyboard emulate an old device allows the basic drivers to work to choose boot menu, diagnostics etc.

Perseo12, you're very welcome - I'm glad you found the option to change it :D

Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:20 PM
  • PMFranklin said:
    That's the problem exactly maspeir.  The BIOS hands control over to the OS, but until Windows is fully loaded it only has basic keyboard drivers - which don't support fancy USB keyboards.  Changing the BIOS to let the keyboard emulate an old device allows the basic drivers to work to choose boot menu, diagnostics etc.

That option has been set all along. I double checked to be sure. Again, this was not an issue when I only had XP 32 installed. This is a Windows 7 problem.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:14 PM
  • Most MB BIOS  do not refer to it as "legacy" support...there are usually two settings to enable/disable a USB keyboard and mouse. Some do refer to it as "legacy devices" in newer boards.
    These are almost always enabled by default in the BIOS, though.
    These settings will  generally NOT solve this problem.
    Windows 7 makes changes to the MBR that somehow interferes with the BIOS of particular MB's to allow access to USB devices during boot. This is specific to the MB's particular BIOS configuration.
    I was told this by a "friend" at a "large software corporation", and that they are aware of it and there will be a hotfix soon.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:17 PM
  • I added the X64 version of W7 to my XP Pro/Vista Ultimate dual boot setup without any trouble, other than having to assign a drive letter to my XP partition in W7 in order to see it. Each OS is installed on a separate hard disk and there are five disks total installed in my system, four Basic and one Dynamic.

I have a USB keyboard and USB mouse as well as a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. All were recognized immediately. I do have the BIOS set to recognize legacy USB devices. So far, I am very happy with my system.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:43 PM