Skype for Business Online Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This is for a new migration project.

My client is planning to be separated from their Parent Company. They already have O365 and Skype for Business Online for their end Users. Now they want to migrate the users from the Parent Company's infrastructure to their own Infrastructure. As part of this, we have to migrate the Skype for Business Online users from parent Company to Child company's Skype for Business Online Infrastructure.

Along with this migration, they want to use the same sip domain for their new company. Also, they need one new sip domain as well. Please suggest me a migration strategy for this.

As far as I know, this is a straight forward migration. Only thing we have to do is that enabling users in new o365 environment.

Please let me know if there is any step by step procedure to implement here.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

AJ

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:49 AM

Answers

• Hi AJ,

Welcome to our forum.

To state, I will add an example:

Old sip domain (parent sip domain): contoso.com
    New sip domain: co.com

If you want to use same sip domain (contoso.com) for new domain, you should remove it from old domain when there are no user accounts in old domain, then add it into new domain. It means that if you want to use contoso.com in parent company, we will not use the contoso.com in new domain.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know and we will pleasure to help you. If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please make it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by jim-xu Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, October 5, 2016 10:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Monday, October 17, 2016 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Hi AJ,

The contact list will be migrated after we migrate user from parent domain to new domain, and SIP address will be updated automatically.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know and we will pleasure to help you. If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi AJ,

Welcome to our forum.

To state, I will add an example:

Old sip domain (parent sip domain): contoso.com
    New sip domain: co.com

If you want to use same sip domain (contoso.com) for new domain, you should remove it from old domain when there are no user accounts in old domain, then add it into new domain. It means that if you want to use contoso.com in parent company, we will not use the contoso.com in new domain.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know and we will pleasure to help you. If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please make it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu

• Edited by jim-xu Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, October 5, 2016 10:34 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply, this is what I was looking for.

I need one more clarification on the same topic.

Is it possible to migrate the user's contact details from parent company to new company, incase of using same/different sip domain in new company?

Regards,

AJ

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:41 AM
  • Hi Aj,

Welcome to our forum.

What’s mean about “user’s contact details” in your state?

If you want to migrate user to a new domain, we should migrate his’s AD account and user mailbox to the new domain, not just migrate SFB account.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu

Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Yes, as part of O365 migration, we are going to migrate AD account, mail & Skype for Business.

user’s contact details:- Contact names and groups added in the SFB client.

As part of migration, we would like to migrate their contact list as well.

Regards,

AJ

Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:47 AM
  • Can anyone please help me on this.

Regards,

AJ

Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Hi AJ,

The contact list will be migrated after we migrate user from parent domain to new domain, and SIP address will be updated automatically.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know and we will pleasure to help you. If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. But still I am confused on this.Could you please explain me how contact list will be migrated when user is moving from one O365 tenant to another O365 tenant.

Regards,

AJ

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:09 AM
  • Hi AJ,

Because those contacts will be stored user database, user database will be migrated once we migrate user from one to another.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu

Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:06 AM