none
MDT 2012 deployment fails after format and partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a task sequence for deployment of our Windows 7 OS and it has been working fine.  Now we have some new Dell PCs that come preloaded with Windows 8 and the many partitions the MFG adds to the hard drive.  I am trying to modify my task sequence to delete all the MFG partitions and then create a system partition that is 500MB and then use the rest of the disk for the OS.  I have created a new group called "Replace only".  This group has Validate, Format and Partition Disk, and Copy Scripts the same as the New Computer Only group.  I have been successful in getting the partitions deleted and then the new partitions created and formated.  This however is where I am failing.  Once it moves on to the inject drivers stage, it fails with a ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIDrivers: Path Not Found (76). Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code -2147467259 0x80004005.  Failed to run the action: Inject Drivers.

Here is what my task sequence looks like:

So all I am doing is cleaning the drive to get rid of all those unwanted partitions and then proceeding as normal.  What am I doing wrong that is causing this to fail?  Where should I look to find out what is going on here?

Wade Preston

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:45 PM

Answers

• You are correct and that works great.  But when I change back to the Replace scenario, i am not able to clean the drives on these machines as I get the error message listed in my first post when I try to clean the drive on a replace scenario.  How do I get this to work properly?

Wade Preston

You shouldn't need to change the deployment type if you are moving the data between physical machines. In other words, you can restore user data in a NEWCOMPUTER scenario. There isn't a reason to change the deployment type to REPLACE.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by Wade Preston Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:23 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:34 PM

All replies

• I just discovered that if I change my deployment type to NEWCOMPUTER instead of REPLACE, it works like I want it to. So this kind of changes my question.  If I have my deployment type set to NEWCOMPUTER will I still be able to bring user state data from another PC that I am replacing?  I guess I thought when I am physically going to replace a PC that I would need to use the deployment type of replace in order for the user state data to be transferred to the new PC.  Am I missing something?  Please help me to understand what is going on with this.

Wade Preston

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Are you booting to boot media (WinPE) in order to do this, in which case NEWCOMPUTER is assumed? Or are you launching litetouch.vbs across the network in a Refresh/Replace scenario? Are you keeping Windows 8 on these machines or are you attempting to put Windows 7 on them? Does user data need to be retained

-Nick O.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:38 PM
  • We have multiple scenarios that will take place.  First is we have new machines going out to new users.  in this case no user data is kept since they are new.  Second we have machines that are getting replaced.  A user will have an old machine and we want to give them a new machine.  In this case there is user data on the old machine that would get retained and put onto the new machine.  Thirdly we have machines that are running XP and we want to put Windows 7 on them.  I want the drive cleaned and re-partitioned as we are using Win7 Enterprise which requires the system partition for bitlocker.

That being said, we are not keeping the Windows 8 at all as we are deploying Windows 7.  At times we have user data to retain. And lastly with a new install we boot to WinPE and with a replace(we don't want to use refresh) we run the litetouch.vbs on the old machine and then boot to WinPE on the new machine.

I hope this helps you understand what is happening.

Wade Preston

Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:16 PM
  • For your last scenario (..."with a replace(we don't want to use refresh) we run the litetouch.vbs on the old machine and then boot to WinPE on the new machine") I assume you are using a standard replace TS; if so USMT can store the user data to a network location, which can then be restored on the new machine.

-Nick O.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:47 PM
  • You are correct and that works great.  But when I change back to the Replace scenario, i am not able to clean the drives on these machines as I get the error message listed in my first post when I try to clean the drive on a replace scenario.  How do I get this to work properly?

Wade Preston

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:08 PM

Wade Preston

You shouldn't need to change the deployment type if you are moving the data between physical machines. In other words, you can restore user data in a NEWCOMPUTER scenario. There isn't a reason to change the deployment type to REPLACE.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by Wade Preston Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:23 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:34 PM
  • I see, well then I will give it a try and see if I can make this work correctly.  Thanks for your help!

Wade Preston

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Ok, I am trying to make this work.  I have my user state captured, yet when I load Windows 7, it gets to the Restore User State step and then it does nothing.  I found that I had some permission issues getting to the user state data and that has been corrected.  Yet when I run the Restore User State step, nothing is restored.  What could I be doing wrong?  I have looked for log files but can't seem to find any.  Where could they be?  At the end I see the MiniNt folder with this structure: c:\MININT\Tools\X86.  There are not files in the directories though.  Is there something I can do to turn logs on so I can find out what is happening with this step or are the logs somewhere that I don't know about?

Please help!

Wade Preston

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:00 PM