none
bitlocker recovery key identification changes on usb encryption

Question

• Hi All,

After encrypt USB and save recovery file I noticed that bitlocker recovery key identification changes

I mean it's not the same on Recovery File.

Any Ideas?

Regards

JO

Thursday, August 27, 2015 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi José Osorio R,

Have you stored other recovery keys in the same places?

This key ID shown is the first part of the full identifier number. If it is corresponding to the first part, then it is the right key.
    If the above identifier doesn't match the one displayed by your PC, then this isn't the right key to unlock your drive.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 28, 2015 6:37 AM
  • Hi JO,

Have you saved other recovery keys to the same location?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 7, 2015 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi José Osorio R,

Have you stored other recovery keys in the same places?

This key ID shown is the first part of the full identifier number. If it is corresponding to the first part, then it is the right key.
    If the above identifier doesn't match the one displayed by your PC, then this isn't the right key to unlock your drive.

Best regards

Friday, August 28, 2015 6:37 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

It's really strange.

This just happens on one PC. After I disconnect and connect again the USB. The Identifier doesn't math the recovery file.

Regards

JO

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Hi JO,

Have you saved other recovery keys to the same location?

Best regards

Monday, September 7, 2015 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

I am running into the same situation using Windows 7 Ent.  I've used BitLocker to encrypt a  USB device 10 times as part of testing.   The Recover Key Identification has changed 3 out of the 10 times.  I AM storing the recovery key text file on the desktop each time, deletign the old text file in between tests.  

Why is this happening?

Thank you!

Laura

Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:38 PM