none
AD Groups vs single users - SPO

Question

•  

I'm curious - are you guys syncing all your (already defined) AD groups to the SPO? - or are you using "single user" assigned rights in SPO ?    

• Edited by JmATK Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi JmATK,

In SharePoint Online, both are correct way to be used. We can use a single user and also the AD group when assigning user permissions. For example, if a administrator needs to only assign a specific user permission, then we can use single user.

In the other hand, if a manager needs to create a group for multiple person, then the AD group should be more suitable.

More information:

Active Directory Groups or SharePoint Groups?

SharePoint Online and Azure AD Dynamic Groups

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by JmATK Monday, November 28, 2016 9:11 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi JmATK,

I suggest you can refer the article below which specfied the difference between using SharePoint user and SharePoint security group:

http://en.share-gate.com/blog/sharepoint-security-groups

Thanks

Best Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 24, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Hi Jerry 

Thank you for your reply - and I'm aware of the difference 

I've currently "on-prem" and SharePoint has a lot of sites and a lot of SP groups - in those there's AD groups (2 for each department site)  - and I'm curious if others have the SPO setup the same way or if they have the single users directly in the SPO group or ?  - or if the AD group is "re-used" due to the ADFS sync      

Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:36 AM
  • Hi JmATK,

In SharePoint Online, both are correct way to be used. We can use a single user and also the AD group when assigning user permissions. For example, if a administrator needs to only assign a specific user permission, then we can use single user.

In the other hand, if a manager needs to create a group for multiple person, then the AD group should be more suitable.

More information:

Active Directory Groups or SharePoint Groups?

SharePoint Online and Azure AD Dynamic Groups

Thanks

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by JmATK Monday, November 28, 2016 9:11 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 8:06 AM