Need help finding URL mapping RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 2007 server that's been up and running for 3-5 years (before my time here).  It's windows server 2008.

It's running about 5 sites.  I've been asked to put SSL on it and expose one of the sites to the internet.  I've done this before a bunch of times for SP 2010 and SP 2013.

When I look at the host header configuration in IIS there is nothing.  When I look in Central Admin alternate access mappings section for all of the site collection, there is nothing.

Just as a sanity check I confirmed all of these host names go to that server, and pull up separate sites.

Anyone have any idea how they would have configured this?  Both myself and my SP devs are scratching our heads.

Thanks!

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    For this issue, I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at it.
    Thanks,
    Qiao
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Hi Statistic IBTS,

seems its quite unique issue you got there, may we have a screen shot of the IIS server application pool list, and list of the web application that your sharepoint have?

at the SSL list page, it should have the list of all the URL that the SSL manage, such as this:

this is my AAM in my lab box,

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Hi Statistic IBTS,

seems from the AAM, haven't have any extended site for this public site.

usually, it consider 3 parts for public site with SSL, 

1. extend the site that you want

2. put it as public site, using public IP address 

3. bind the public UP address with SSL.

here is the example article to achieve this : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jjameson/archive/2009/11/09/configuring-ssl-on-sharepoint-sites.aspx

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:26 AM
  • Thank you, but I'm not asking how to configure a site.  We've done that many times with all of the steps you mentioned.  I'm trying to find out how this site is responding to 4 different URL's, going to 4 different sites, without those steps.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Hi Statistic IBTS,

since there are limitation on this forum support, i may able to help you as far that i know regarding the topology of the web application with IIS, for more details you may contact our customer service and request for an advisory ticket.

When you extend a SharePoint web application, you are telling SharePoint to go to IIS and create a new site, but SharePoint will use it to show the same content. 

When you add a host header it is equivalent to going to IIS and modifying the HTTP bindings for a site, and adding another URL or port. Host Header site collections are a mechanism to allow you to map different host headers to individual site collections within the same SharePoint web application.

The purpose of alternate access mappings is to deal with the situation where you have a load balancer or a proxy server that translates from an external URL to your server's internal URL. This ensures that the relative URLs generated by SharePoint when rendering pages are consistent with the external URL. Configuring alternate access mappings does not automatically add host header entries.

Sharepoint not using host header as default, because it have AAM, that manage this feature.

please correct me if i am wrong, as i know SSL, works differently, since it is encrypted, then AAM dont have the host headers, that SSL usually need, now it may comes to have questions. so that we may need to direct those SSL based on IP addresses and port combination. so then if we need to have a multiple web apps on a single box that use SSL, we may need to have multiple sites all on one IP listening on different ports, or multiple IP on the box so each site can separate IP in order to have different web app as virtual directories under IIS site.

if you create a new site that needs to responded to the other 4 different URL, perhaps you may need a publishing site that can able to do this.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/edgeaccessblog/archive/2008/10/13/publishing-sharepoint-with-iag-2007-part-3-sharepoint-topologies.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd278014.aspx

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:23 PM