none
low space esxi host conversion to hyper-v RRS feed

• Question

• esxi host is low on space, so we intend to use mvmc to copy the VM off the esxi host, onto the 2012 R2 server.

when mvmc takes a snapshot of the system, does that snapshot get created on the esxi host and then moved? if so, our datastore isnt large enough for a snapshot and we'll need to alter our plan.

also wondering if its any faster or better to power off the guest vm when doing the migration. 

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

What system are you snapshotting? Exchange and active directory dont support snapshotting.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:35 AM
  • its a dc with terminal services. was hoping to avoid any kind of vmware snapshot and convert the vmware guest to hyper-v due to space limitations on the vmware host datastore.

i saw this which leads me to believe VMWare makes a snapshot and that is what MVMC converts and works with. makes sense the snapshot is what gets worked with, thus leaving the vm guest intact. this was the only reference i could find to vmware making a snapshot during the process

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2012/WCL321

with this being the one and only DC (and in fact the only server in the domain) i would assume our options would then be windows server backup or symantec backup exec 2012 to move the vm to hyper-v, or is there another application/method that could perform this reliably/safely?

the intended hyper-v host should have space and horsepower to create a second DC to hold a copy of AD if thats a better way to safeguard AD etc.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:21 PM
  • target VM system is server 2008 r2 standard
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:29 PM

• and i just saw this:

virtual machines that are not running (offline virtual machines) cannot be converted by MVMC

so, the guest VM must be online and running to be backed up. that answers that!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:12 PM