Auto Name Print to file with the date and time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, For give my newbness,

I have several hundred water sample tests to run. Up until last week I was printing them all out. Then a young man introduced me to printing to a file.

That worked great, but the only thing That is a pain now is my experiments run 24/7 printing reports all sorts of odd times.  The software I run will not continue until the report prints. Which means I have to be around to type in a file name. I would like it if I could have the "print to file" document automatically name the file based on the date and time since I have a log of all the times when the experiments run.

Is there any way to achieve this? and can someone guide me to get this done?

Clive

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:16 PM

Answers

• This is a windows XP forum, no linux issues shall be resolved here. 

Regards, h9ck3r.
    • Proposed as answer by h9ck3r Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:06 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:08 AM

All replies

• tell me the file that you are printing is of what format ?? is it a word file / excel file ?

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Plain text.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:21 PM
  • how often you print the reports ??
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I print reports when My lab gets work. So, every week I might print between 5 and 200 20 page reports. (we have a room devoted to paper work)

But the times when the reports are generated depend on when the sample analysis is done. That could be 2am or 2pm.  i saw a web page on how to do what I am asking, by porting the file into a linux emulator, processing the print job and file naming there, but it seems like alot of added complication for what seems like a simple task. The Young man who set up this "print to file"  says the task of printing to a file and automatically assigning a filename in linux is extraordinarily simple in linux, but he has no idea how to get it done in windows Xp. Our lab's instrumentation software will only run in windows so we are out of luck there.

Basicaly I want  a batch script to provide a filename using a command like: echo%date%%time% when the "print to file" printer asks for a filename. I simply cannot comprehend that I might be the only one out there who wants some automation, or that it might be as difficult as it seems so far. We are so close with the print to file method! Its so close to being useful, and we can stop wasting all this paper.

currently we get the paper reports and retype them into a database which seems ridiculous but its the only way we have ever been able to do it.

Does that help?

Clive

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:28 PM
  • This is a windows XP forum, no linux issues shall be resolved here. 

Regards, h9ck3r.
    • Proposed as answer by h9ck3r Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:06 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Yes, I understand this. However I am merely looking for a solution to this problem. Does anyone know?
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Allright, In case It interestes anyone, I have found a solution to this problem, with pdfCreator.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/?abmode=1

once installed, you can configure the document to autosave.

Free, and totaly worth checking the program out.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:51 AM
  • i had used PDF creator before, but never saw an autosave option. Thank you for that info..
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:17 AM