Win 7 Ult. Pro., How to change user/computer name? I.e. I used a poor OWNER name when installing Win 7. RRS feed

• Question

• When I first ran Win 7 I used the name OWNER somewhere, or at least that was the default name that came up and I didn't change it.  Now it's embedded everywhere and I'd like to change it without doing a re-install.  The user folder was originally named "Owner", I have changed that.

Searching the registry the name "OWNER-PC" comes up all over the place.  I have changed the name of the computer, and my user folder name, but the old name "Owner", "OWNER-PC", "Owner-PC", etc. comes up all over the registry.  Is there a key value that all subsequent key values get this value from?

Can I just do a search and replace?  I'd create a system restore point and system backup via Windows Home Server before editing the registry to this extent beforehand.

Cross posted here

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213833-old-computer-name-wont-go-away-how-change.html

TIA

Monte

• Edited by montejw360 Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:36 PM
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:20 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You may try to create a new user account and then copy the previous folders to the new account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:05 AM
  • See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-your-computer-name for instructions on how to change the computer name.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:21 PM
  •  

Hi,

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. 

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:55 AM
  • sorry, i can't just post a new message, it has to be a reply to someone.

anyway, i've changed the computer name.  the problem is either the original computer name or something.  i have always had the user name i wanted.  the user folder name has always been not what i want now.  i don't know where that comes from, but it's not what i want now.  i found a "hack" that allowed me to change the user folder name, fine, but looking in the registry and looking at what newly installed programs use for their folders and such it seems like that original name is still there, somewhere.  i don't want to change my user name, i've change the computer name, but this "name" is stuck somewhere deep in the permissions, profiles, or somewhere else that i can't find.

but.... if i have to start from scratch, well then.....

Monte

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:19 AM
  •  

Hi,

You may go to check the permission of this folder with the original name and monitor the event log to see if there are any services or programs create this folder.

Also, regarding the default local user profile, I think you may use the method in the following KB article to customize when you deploy the system:

How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:34 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 7:46 AM
  •  

Hi,

I was wondering how everything is going. If anything is unclear, please let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:25 AM