WSUS Migration 3.2/2008 R2 to 6.3/2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum Helpers,

I am in the process of migrating 3.2/2008 to 6.3/2012 R2.

I only want the Update/Database (approvals...)to migrate. Nothing else, because the new server is set up with a different structure/groups.

Does anyone now if I can

1. shift only the database with included updates?

All the instructions I am reading include everything .

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Karen

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi KarenKitstin,

During my research, I didn't find a way to migrate only approved updates, and it is not recommended to so.

Since WSUS is easy to set up and you want to deploy the new WSUS for new structure, it won't take too much time to configure the WSUS server from scratch.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi KarenKitstin,

During my research, I didn't find a way to migrate only approved updates, and it is not recommended to so.

Since WSUS is easy to set up and you want to deploy the new WSUS for new structure, it won't take too much time to configure the WSUS server from scratch.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:37 AM
  • Thank you very much for your response. My concern : Do the clients connect automatically to the new WSUS Server?
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:40 PM
  • Hi KarenKirstin,

Clients will not connect automatically to the new WSUS server, we need to configure new GPO for them, to make them to use the new WSUS server to update.

In GPO, expand computer configuration>Administrative templates>windows components>windows update.

Find policy: Specify intranet Microsoft update service location, we may fill in the new WSUS's URL, for example: http://newwsus.test.com: 8530. WSUS on Windows Server 2012 R2 installs to port 8530 by default, so we need to append the port number to the URL in GPO.

After configure GPO, we may run gpupdate/force to apply the GPO on clients

You may click the following link to learn detailed information about GPO for WSUS clients:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn595129.aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:35 AM