New WSUS server has errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed WSUS on Server 2012 R2 on a server following these instructions.  https://mizitechinfo.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/step-by-step-installing-configuring-wsus-in-server-2012-r2/

I did all of the steps in this document but noticed that I am not able to download updates to the client.  I am getting these 2 errors:

1.  Your WSUS server currently shows that no computers are registered to receive updates; and

2.  The files for this update have not yet been downloaded.  The update can be approved but will not be available to computers until the download is complete.  Note that I approved the updates already.  Additional note is that this is an offline network so I did an export from a separate SCCM/WSUS server, which is connected to the internet and successfully synchronized the updates on the offline network. 

Any help in getting this working would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

M

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hi M,

>>1.  Your WSUS server currently shows that no computers are registered to receive updates

I have read the guide you mentioned above. Several points need noticing:

1. Make sure that the group name configured in client side targeting is exactly same with the group created on the WSUS server.
    2. Make sure that the WSUS server configured in the GPO is same with your own server. Also, do not forget the port.

If issue persists, please check if the following registry has been configured properly on the WSUS client:

>>Additional note is that this is an offline network so I did an export from a separate SCCM/WSUS server, which is connected to the internet and successfully synchronized the updates on the offline network. 

I'm not familiar with SCCM. As far as I know, if we use the SCCM to manage the WSUS server, we should not manage it with WSUS administration console. I don't know if we can use this server as the export source.

Please try to use a standard WSUS server as the export server. For detailed information about how to deploy an offline WSUS server, please refer to the link below,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720486(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hi M,

>>1.  Your WSUS server currently shows that no computers are registered to receive updates

I have read the guide you mentioned above. Several points need noticing:

1. Make sure that the group name configured in client side targeting is exactly same with the group created on the WSUS server.
    2. Make sure that the WSUS server configured in the GPO is same with your own server. Also, do not forget the port.

If issue persists, please check if the following registry has been configured properly on the WSUS client:

>>Additional note is that this is an offline network so I did an export from a separate SCCM/WSUS server, which is connected to the internet and successfully synchronized the updates on the offline network. 

I'm not familiar with SCCM. As far as I know, if we use the SCCM to manage the WSUS server, we should not manage it with WSUS administration console. I don't know if we can use this server as the export source.

Please try to use a standard WSUS server as the export server. For detailed information about how to deploy an offline WSUS server, please refer to the link below,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720486(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:36 AM
  • Steve,

We do not have a WSUS server in our environment -- just the one I am trying to setup in the offline network.  Do you know where I can find steps on how to download them from the Microsoft catalog?  Any help would be appreciated -- I'm still looking :)

Thanks for any help!

M

Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:42 PM
  • Hi,

We can't download the update from Windows Update Catalog, then import them into the WSUS server.

As I have mentioned above, we need to build a online WSUS server first, then use this server as the export server.

Best Regards.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:43 AM