none
DPM Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to backup a V.H.D. on a Hyper-V cluster and I'm getting the following error:

DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError:The writer experienced a transient error.  If the backup process is retried,

the error may not reoccur.

(0x800423F3))

I have ran the consistency check more than once and I still get the same error. I have several other V.H.D.'s that are on the same cluster and are backed up. Can someone please assist? Thanks!

• Moved by MarcReynolds Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:34 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:45 PM

Answers

• Due to the complexity involved in troubleshooting an issue like yours it would be best to open a Microsoft support case so that we can better assist you and help to determine root cause.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please make sure the hyper-V integration components inside the problematic guest are updated.  Look at the application event log for VSS errors and the system event log for volsnap errors on both the Host and inside the guest.  

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I checked both guest and host logs and found only a information warning:

The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:24 PM
  • See if this is applicable to your environment: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=981948

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Due to the complexity involved in troubleshooting an issue like yours it would be best to open a Microsoft support case so that we can better assist you and help to determine root cause.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:21 PM