Application cannot be installed to the Q: drive RRS feed

• Question

• MY APLICATION NOT PERMITS INSTALL IN Q:\  ; ONLY PERMIT IN DEFAULT WAY ( C:\PROGRAM FILES\...)

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION??

REGARDS AND THANKS

MCITP
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:51 AM

Answers

• You don't have to do anything special, just install to the Program Files folder during the monitoring phase and continue.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Marked as answer by Ralpph Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:06 AM
  • As Aaron said you don't do anything...Just run your monitoring and install your application to c:\Program Files\app

The sequencer will interpret this and virtualize the files for you to CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES\app

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Ralpph,

Not knowing exactly what issue you are getting I'll just say this. Not every application can be installed to the Q:\ and may be hardcoded with a restriction to the WINDIR or C:\ etc.

You can still install to your C:\ during the sequence and the directory will get replicated in the virtual bubble under the VFS folder. This is your Virtual File System. You will see the files under CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES etc.

It usually has no real issue. It's said there's a slight performance decrease as it takes longer for your app to find the files there but I've never noticed any huge delay.

Good luck

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Also see this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/3a97ce88-270d-4c6b-a13c-5a0d7cbaa0e9
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Thanks

Could you take me four steps to go??

If the aplication is in :

(for example) 

c:\Program Files\app 

Thanks

MCITP
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:44 AM
  • You don't have to do anything special, just install to the Program Files folder during the monitoring phase and continue.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:06 AM
  • As Aaron said you don't do anything...Just run your monitoring and install your application to c:\Program Files\app

The sequencer will interpret this and virtualize the files for you to CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES\app

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:42 AM
  • THANKS TO ALL . REGARDS

TEST AND TELL YOU

MCITP
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:54 PM
  • IVE TRIED IT AND WORKS FINE

THANKS

MCITP
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:20 PM