none
Outlook messages transfer

Question

• I have used Outlook 2003 for years, and now have a new laptop with Outlook 2010.
    I have transferred my contacts from the old computer (2003) to the new one.
    Now I would like all my personal files to show up on the new computer.  All my inbox messages, especially, ones I have created, and those messages I have archived every 6 months.  
    I have backed up the .pst files according to the Outlook instructions, but the backup file is not going into 2010.  The Office instructions on managing .pst files is very complicated and haven't seemed to help.

IS THERE NOT AN EASIER WAY to get the personal files from 2003 to 2010 and a different computer?

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:44 PM

All replies

• I have used Outlook 2003 for years, and now have a new laptop with Outlook 2010.
    I have transferred my contacts from the old computer (2003) to the new one.
    Now I would like all my personal files to show up on the new computer.  All my inbox messages, especially, ones I have created, and those messages I have archived every 6 months.  
    I have backed up the .pst files according to the Outlook instructions, but the backup file is not going into 2010.  The Office instructions on managing .pst files is very complicated and haven't seemed to help.

IS THERE NOT AN EASIER WAY to get the personal files from 2003 to 2010 and a different computer?

Impossible to comment on what instructions you followed since it depends primarily on two things

#1 - The type(s) of email accounts configured (i.e. POP, Imap etc)

#2 - The data files configured in the Outlook profile

To get the info for the above two items (if you're not sure), on your OL'2003 system, open the Control Panel <Mail> app.

For email account info --> Click on the <Email Account> button --> select <View or change existing email accounts> --> Next --> shows your email accounts

For data file info --> click on <Data Files> button --> shows list of data files 

Given that this relates to OL'2003 which has a completely different UI for Outlook account settings, will provide additional info after Q1&2 are answered rather then explain different scenarios which may be of no relevance. Suspect part of the confusion you're running into is that OL'2003 s so far out out of data that it wouldn't conform to most articles.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Assuming you are using a POP3 account, and would like to select the existing pst file as the default delivery location when re-configure it in Outlook 2010.

Please refer to the steps mentioned in the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/983131/by-default,-a-new-outlook-data-file-.pst-is-created-in-outlook-2010-when-you-add-a-new-pop3-account

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:54 AM