System Restore is not working. RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi, I have Windows Vista and I had to use the System Restore when I accidentally deleted my documents folder, but it didn't work. It went through the whole process and when the computer restarted it gave me a message that said, "System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed." 

What can I do to fix this?

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

At this point, it is suggested to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
    Refer the following link for more information:
    How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

At this point, it is suggested to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
    Refer the following link for more information:
    How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Hi Cami95,

I resolved the same problem by  running the diagnostic memory check

Bridget Kate

Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:19 PM