My Vista SP2 thinks it is XP SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Until today, I was unable to authenticate my version of Vista Home Premium running on a Sony VGN-FZ140 laptop. My copy was authentic, but for some reason my Product Key on my laptop didn't work. Then, I tried "Other ways to activate". I then was able to change my key. I put in the same key, my computer connected online and BOOM! Problem solved. However, I still get a message when trying to reinstall a graphics driver that says, "this update can only run on microsoft windows vista". When I go into my System Information, it says I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Then I tried running the .exe containing my graphics driver under Compatibility Mode, only to find that Vista SP2 was NOT on the list of OS's to run the program! However, the defaulted OS chosen was Windows XP SP2. I must find a way for my computer to recognize its own JUNK! This all stemmed from S-Video output problems so I figured I would try to reinstall the graphics driver. If you know why my computer doesn't recognize its own OS, please let me know! Perhaps a virus caused this? I noticed a similar question from another Sony laptop user. He was receiving the same message, "this update can only run on microsoft windows vista". His post unfortunately had no suggestions. Hopefully someone here might be able to help. Thanks!
    • Moved by Whosane002 Saturday, April 3, 2010 12:32 AM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 4:29 AM