Pin Certain Conversations to the Top? - Even a Hacky Way Would be Fine. RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2013

I set Outlook to Conversation View and show only unflagged items.   This works fairly well, but what I really need is a way to pin Conversations to the top of Outlook.

I get maybe 25 emails per day.

12 - One-time notices, or whatever, I read and flag them, so they disappear

3 - One-time notices or interesting articles, I don't flag them because I'd like to go back to them, maybe, but don't always

5 - I'll reply to.  Like "no I don't have a script for blah blah".  I flag them so they disappear too.  Since I replied it's a conversation now.  But I'm already done with this. 

5 - I usually have 3 to 5 issues going on.  These are important threads that I need to watch and respond to.  The threads can end up with 50 replies.   This is why Conversation View is so helpful. 

HOWEVER, I need to keep my eye on these 5 important on-going threads!!

If I don't get an email for a day or two for one of these important threads it slips lower and lower and I waste a lot of time going through the last few days or weeks seeing if there's anything I need to address in these important threads.

I started forwarding them to myself in the morning so I 'd know that the important threads were all inside "today".  This works, but had gotten to be a real chore.

Is there some way I can pin a thread to the top?

Is there some view I can use to see the important threads?

I tried setting my self-forwards to "important" and was hoping only the important threads would be at the top, so I could "pin" threads by making them important, but I couldn't get it to work with Conversation View. 

This is what I want to see.  Somehow mark/flag about 5 threads to always be at the top.  When I'm done with one, I can un-flag it and it will go away.  

===================================

IMPORTANCE = IMPORTANT

*- TODAY
        -- Important Thread 1

*- YESTERDAY
        -- Important Thread 2

*- LAST WEEK
        -- Important Thread 3
        -- Important Thread 4
        -- Important Thread 5

IMPORTANCE = NORMAL

*- TODAY
        -- Normal Thread 01
        -- Normal Thread 02
        -- Normal Thread 03

*- YESTERDAY
        -- Normal Thread 04
        -- Normal Thread 05
        -- Normal Thread 06
        -- Normal Thread 07
        -- Normal Thread 08

*- LAST WEEK
        -- Normal Thread 09
        -- Normal Thread 10
        -- Normal Thread 11
        -- Normal Thread 12
        -- Normal Thread 13
        -- Normal Thread 14
        -- Normal Thread 15
        -- Normal Thread 16
        -- Normal Thread 17
        -- Normal Thread 18
        -- Normal Thread 19
        -- Normal Thread 20
        -- Normal Thread 21
        -- Normal Thread 22
        -- Normal Thread 23
        -- Normal Thread 24
        -- Normal Thread 25
        -- Normal Thread 26
        -- Normal Thread 27
        -- Normal Thread 28
        -- Normal Thread 29
        -- Normal Thread 30
        -- Normal Thread 31

• Edited by Allbread Friday, April 13, 2018 1:10 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2018 1:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Allbread,

According to my research, I'm afraid that there is no built-in option in Outlook 2013 to pin certain messages at top.

As a workaround, we could assign color categories to those message. And then create a search folder so that you could easily check these messages.

Here are some articles for your reference:

Create and assign color categories

Use Search Folders to find messages or other Outlook items

Hope this is helpful to you. If you have more concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, April 16, 2018 8:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allbread Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:51 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Allbread,

According to my research, I'm afraid that there is no built-in option in Outlook 2013 to pin certain messages at top.

As a workaround, we could assign color categories to those message. And then create a search folder so that you could easily check these messages.

Here are some articles for your reference:

Create and assign color categories

Use Search Folders to find messages or other Outlook items

Hope this is helpful to you. If you have more concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, April 16, 2018 8:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allbread Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:51 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 6:19 AM
  • Hi Allbread,

Does my reply work for you?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post if the reply is helpful to you. In doing so, it will benefit all community members who are facing similar issues. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 6:42 AM
  • Hi Allbread,

I'm writing to see whether my reply is helpful to you. 

If yes, would you mind marking it as answer so that the case can be closed? 

Thank you for your understanding and support. Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Monday, April 23, 2018 8:17 AM
  • Hi Allbread,

I'm wondering whether the workaround above is helpful to you.

Please feel free to tell me if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:22 AM
  • Well, I guess it's better than nothing. 

Not what I was looking for, but it looks like your solution will still make life a little easier.  A 'pin' would be perfect, but the search folder should still help.

I wonder why I didn't get any emails that there was a reply.   Maybe they went to spam.  I checked this site for a couple of days and gave up. Thanks Perry Pan.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:50 PM