Converting Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition setup for home. However, i had to reinstall this server after activating it once already. Now i am trying to activate it with my student license key and it wont let me. I do however, have an unused license key for server 2008 R2 Standard. I either want to convert Enterprise to Standard, or just activate enterprise. 

Please Help Me??

Im only 14 and have been trying to build a server for ages, and now i have built it, it says i am a victim of software conterfaiting.

Kind Regards,

Zach Lewis

• Changed type zach.a.lewis Monday, May 4, 2015 10:12 AM it is a question
    Monday, May 4, 2015 10:11 AM

Answers

• Hi

Unfortunalety you could not downgrade from server 2008 r2 Enterpirse to Server 200r2 R2 Standard,There are 2 way;

1- Call Microsoft Support phone and explan the licence situation

2- You should do a clean installatin Server 2008 R2 Standard and then acitvate it from your purchase licence key.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:56 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Hi Zach Lewis,

Additional, active and license issue we can call the active center, they will give the detail and official support answer .If you are using OEM system you can ask your OEM vendor for the active help. In forum we can not determine what key type you are using or whether your key has licensing issue or whether the key has locked.If you are using OEM system you can ask your OEM vendor for the active help. You can get communication way from following web site:   You can get communication way from following web site:

Existing Customers

Product Activation and Key Information

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/activation/existing-customers/product-activation.aspx

End users can use the following media types for their downgrade:

◦Retail (full packaged product)

◦System builder media

◦VL software media in accordance with the Microsoft OEM Volume Licensing License Terms.

Understanding downgrade rights

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=MtXIq6gGI6t

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi

Unfortunalety you could not downgrade from server 2008 r2 Enterpirse to Server 200r2 R2 Standard,There are 2 way;

1- Call Microsoft Support phone and explan the licence situation

2- You should do a clean installatin Server 2008 R2 Standard and then acitvate it from your purchase licence key.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:56 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Hi Zach Lewis,

Additional, active and license issue we can call the active center, they will give the detail and official support answer .If you are using OEM system you can ask your OEM vendor for the active help. In forum we can not determine what key type you are using or whether your key has licensing issue or whether the key has locked.If you are using OEM system you can ask your OEM vendor for the active help. You can get communication way from following web site:   You can get communication way from following web site:

Existing Customers

Product Activation and Key Information

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/activation/existing-customers/product-activation.aspx

End users can use the following media types for their downgrade:

◦Retail (full packaged product)

◦System builder media

◦VL software media in accordance with the Microsoft OEM Volume Licensing License Terms.

Understanding downgrade rights

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=MtXIq6gGI6t

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:58 AM
  • Okay, if i do a clean install, how do i backup everything and restore it to the new one. And if i do, will i have to setup any DHCP Sever rules or DNS Settings or Active Directory DS Settings. My uncle setup some things on the server to make it work for clients which i dont know how to do.
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:25 PM
  • Thank you very much for your help!
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:25 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:57 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:40 PM