Revert to Windows 10 from Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have accidentally installed Windows Server 2016 on the wrong Hard drive. I previously had Windows 10 installed and I was attempting to install Windows Server 2016 onto an external drive and accidentally installed it onto my internal drive for my pc. I have the Windows.old file still on the system of the previous Win10 and I would like to revert to that to avoid having to reinstall a bunch of games and other programs. This all happened about an hour ago and I can't find any articles to help. Is this possible or do I have to start over?
    • Edited by Aylexxx Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:32 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• As far as I know you'll need to clean install it. I'd reach out to windows 10 experts here about recovery options.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Aylexxx Saturday, February 16, 2019 9:09 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:31 PM
  • By clean install do you mean without the ability to save anything?
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:33 PM
  • Basically yes. You can of course copy off any files you wanted to save before hand.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:34 PM
  • This is the route that I've ended up going with. Thanks for the recommendations for the other forms! Have a great day.
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Saturday, February 16, 2019 8:58 PM