none
Schools agreement and DPM licensing. Have I got this right? RRS feed

• Question

• Schools which are on Schools Agreements I have heard Data Protection Manager 2010 is really cheap. I am looking at this as an alternative to the backup system which we are using which is really difficult to sort and manage but we do have Linux and aApple MAC OSX Server.

We have 3 VMware ESX Hosts running 11 Windows Server 2003,2008,2008 R2 servers and 2 Ubuntu Servers 8.04.
    We have 1 physical DC, 1 Exchange 2007 enterprise VM, 1 SQL Server VM, 2 Windows File Servers (1 2003 and 1 2008R2).

It sounds like DPM will be a bargain! Apparantly its £55 for server license and £5 per client for each server which needs a DPM client.

Surely this can't be right, can someone can confirm that I am not going crazy!!

Thanks
    • Edited by QBIT_Team Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:46 PM acronyms
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sounds about right to me - I am in Australia and based on rough conversion rates that is about the same as I pay on our School Agreement ($70 AUS for the server).  Remember it is "per year" though - it's just a rental rather than purchasing the software.

I actually went with System Center Server Management Suite Datacenter for each of our VMware hosts - this covers the MLs for all of the System Center products (Configuration Manager, Service Manager, Data Protection Manager and Operations Manager) on an unlimited number of VMs - you just purchase 2 CPU licenses for each host to cover all the VMs.  This was instead of buying DPM MLs for each OSE.  It worked out better for us as we use all of the products but that might not be the case for you.

Cheers,
    David

Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:12 AM