Trouble Installing Intel 2100A Wifi Driver from Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• Device is detected by windows.  Driver is on Windows Update.  Window appears saying installing software but after a long wait an error appears saying that the driver failed to install due to timeout.

No other dialogs appear. 

This has happened to me with 5308 and 5384 (prior betas had not driver support at all).

hwids

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1043&SUBSYS_25808086&REV_04

device is a toshiba tecra m2.  wireless works fine on xpsp2 (dual booting currently)

user account control shows the following...

Device driver software installation

Microsoft Windows Component Publisher

C:\Windows\Systems32\newdev.exe" "00000001"

...\PNP_Device_Install_Pipe_1.{e7595ddc-9be1-4694-8579-...

"PCI\VEN_8086.........

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:58 PM

Answers

• Problem solved!

I downloaded the latest driver from Toshiba.  Even though it is an executable, running it in Windows XP/ SP2 compatibility mode did not run the containing parts in this mode.

Luckily the executable is actually a Winzip self extracting archive/ installer.  I extracted the installer to a folder and then went in to each executable and changed the compatibility mode to XP and runas administrator checkboxes.

I then manually installed the driver (did not use update driver as for some reason this doesn't work).

Hopefully more troubleshooting will help others with similar problems.  Is there a way for Windows update to run in Windows XP compatible mode?  Strange that MS puts a driver up there for Vista that cannot install..

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi;

I don't have the hardware available to test, but can you download and install the driver (possibly the XP version) from Toshiba and then hit the Windows update site?

I had a similar problem with the broadcom wireless card in my laptop and was able to get around it by doing the above.

Thursday, June 1, 2006 3:56 PM
  • I did try this as well but haven't been able to get any of the drivers from Toshiba or Windows Update to work.

The chipset is Intel but the Toshiba driver mentions Atheros.  I think this chipset is fairly generic to a number of laptop manufactures.

I think the problem is more with a dialog box not showing up during the install of the driver.  Probably to do with the more protected mode that Vista uses for driver installs.

Thursday, June 1, 2006 4:30 PM
  • Generally speaking, "Atheros" is the client software that helps with making wireless connections, and not necessarily the drivers themselves..

Have you tried the generic drivers from Intel for XP SP2?

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-010623.htm

You could possibly be correct in that windows update isn't properly setting the LUA (Admin mode) rights during the download, but I personally haven't seen this behavior. (One way to test that would be to run Internet Explorer with elevated priviledges (Right-Click on IE and choose run as administrator) and then go to Windows Update..

I wish I had a concrete answer to your problem, but hopefully this helps..

Thursday, June 1, 2006 7:04 PM
  • I have tried running as administrator and running windows update.

I have also tried manually installing the drivers using Windows XP/SP2 compatibility mode and without UAM restrictions on.

I have also tried the generic drivers from Intel (not the ones you mentioned as they are for the 2100 - mine is 2100A).  The toshiba XP driver appears to be the same as the one on Windows update.  Toshiba has absolutedly no Vista info on their site.

Is there a problem with a co-installer possibly?  Or NTFS permissions?  Or some new security layer?

I am having much trouble finding anything for troubleshooting.  I guess that is what happens when you test a beta OS.

Friday, June 2, 2006 9:22 PM
  • You have tried all the obvious things - it looks like a driver or OS bug. As you say, such are the joys of a beta OS.

Please file a bug report on Connect and if possible post any details back here.

Thanks
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:36 PM
  • Problem solved!

I downloaded the latest driver from Toshiba.  Even though it is an executable, running it in Windows XP/ SP2 compatibility mode did not run the containing parts in this mode.

Luckily the executable is actually a Winzip self extracting archive/ installer.  I extracted the installer to a folder and then went in to each executable and changed the compatibility mode to XP and runas administrator checkboxes.

I then manually installed the driver (did not use update driver as for some reason this doesn't work).

Hopefully more troubleshooting will help others with similar problems.  Is there a way for Windows update to run in Windows XP compatible mode?  Strange that MS puts a driver up there for Vista that cannot install..

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 4:33 PM
  • Great work - and a good tip!
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 5:00 PM
  • i got a prob to i installed a Vista Beta Version and mY graphic driver's arnt getting Installed as  they say the OS is not supported

its an Intel 82845G Graphics controler, ive searched on intel site but there is no mention of vista or its compatable driver's

its really sad to see intel's aftersales service and un compatability of vista in driver's as none are released and how can we evaluate the beta version if the driver's arnt released???

plz hlp

Thursday, June 8, 2006 4:35 PM
  • I suspect you may be out of luck.

You have two options: get a new computer with a supported video controller, or add on to your existing sytem.

Also, consider filign a bug.
    Friday, June 9, 2006 12:40 PM
  • Well after dat i decided to uninstall Vista for it was not compatable with my system configuration

i didnt get any option so i formatted the drive on which vista was installed, but it still shows up at bootmanager, i have even checked the bootcfg cmd in dos but it shows the other bootmanager where xp is installed

is there anyway to remove this newer bootmanager??\

help

Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:05 AM