WSUS keeps timing out when access update services console from server or remotely. RRS feed

• Question

• Keep getting error message when accessing Updates, Synchronizations and reports. I have restarted all the server services associated with WSUS, SQL and IIS which didn't help solve the problem. Reset Server Node but keep get the same message every time. All Computers have an acclimation mark that they have not reported status in 57 or more days.

Information about Servers: Windows Server 2012r2, connecting to a SQL Server 2012 WSUS database

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.SearchUpdates(UpdateScope searchScope, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.WsusSynchronizationInfo.InitializeDerivedProperties()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.SyncResultsListPage.GetSyncInfoRow(WsusSynchronizationInfo syncInfo)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.SyncResultsListPage.GetListRows()

• Edited by jdope Friday, May 29, 2015 6:10 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2015 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you regularly perform WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW) ?
    If not, you should do so monthly.

Do you regularly perform WSUS database maintenance/reindexing?

Do you regularly "Decline" [Expired and Superseded] updates in your WSUS console?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708594(v=ws.10).aspx 

This script is the recommended reindex script:
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

Note that for WSUS v6 (WS2012 / WS2012R2):

When using WSUS 2012 the instructions require a few changes and additions.

--For new server installs, you may need to first download and install:
      1. Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:
         http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433
      2. ODBC driver 11 for SQL:
         http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

--Second, go to the SQLCMD.exe path
    cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

--Then run the following command:
    SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

"As you can see, the SQL WID instance name changed in 2012, and the sql changed to tsql. 
    No other changes needed, the WSUS 3 maintenance script works just fine."

Also, note this recent article:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2015/04/15/support-tip-configmgr-2012-update-scan-fails-and-causes-incorrect-compliance-status.aspx

Although this article refers to System Center Configuration Manager (which uses WSUS), the issues, instructions, and scripts are directly applicable to WSUS - even when not used with ConfigMgr.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, May 30, 2015 10:39 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions,  ran the WSUS server cleanup utility but that didn't solve the problem. I want to do a re indexing of the WSUS SQL database. I'm not that familiar with SQL and running the commands. Here is a screenshot of the server. what is the complete command that I use? The WSUS database is called SUSDB

• Edited by jdope Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions,  ran the WSUS server cleanup utility but that didn't solve the problem. I want to do a re indexing of the WSUS SQL database. I'm not that familiar with SQL and running the commands. Here is a screenshot of the server. what is the complete command that I use? The WSUS database is called SUSDB

Click "New Query".
    In the query window, paste the T-SQL script from the gallery article.
    Make any necessary changes to suit your environment.
    Execute the script (F5)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:56 PM